2FA compatible with Entrust Datacard?

My bank supports 2FA, but works with the Entrust Datacard hardware token or the Entrust IdentityGuard Mobile App for software tokens. To register for 2FA, the site requires that I enter the serial number of the hardware token. I don't want to carry around a hardware token and I don't want to rely on another 3rd party app for my 2FA. Is it possible for 1Password to emulate the tokens generated by the Entrust Datacard hardware token? As far as I can tell, 1Password only supports the xxx-xxx format of 2FA codes, but I wanted to check just to make sure.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@anonymous_buffalo: 1Password is not able to emulate hardware dongles for authentication. It supports the open TOTP standard for generating two-factor codes, so if they have an option that supports that it should work:

Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication

I've never heard of that in particular though, so I can't tell you for certain if that's something they allow. Let me know what you find. :)

• anonymous_buffalo
    anonymous_buffalo
    Community Member

That's what I thought, but it was worth asking. Why the bank insists on using some proprietary format for something so basic, I'll never understand...

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Be warned, that path leads to madness :tongue:

In all seriousness my limited experience with banks has left me wondering why many do what they do. I'm still no closer to an explanation for any of it.

• anonymous_buffalo
    anonymous_buffalo
    Community Member

I actually had really high hopes for this one. Their mobile app is top notch, their online banking is fast to load and easy to use, and the fact that they offer 2FA at all is an improvement over my other banks...I just wish I didn't have to have a stupid hardware dongle or some third-party app to use it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I can't disagree with that! Banks often have some of the most onerous and anachronistic security practices. The best we can each do is give them feedback. I have seen improvement over time as a result (my bank used to use an eight character password -- no joke), so I do think there's hope. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.