How can I set up reminders to change my password?

Options
vaarkamp
vaarkamp
Community Member

I would like a way to set up an expire date for passwords, just so I change my passwords frequently.
Could this be integrated with the Watchtower functionality? Or is this an option already?

1Password Version: 7.3.1.
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Reminder to change password

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @vaarkamp,

We don't have an option that comes close to that but you can order your vault by password age and that would allow you to easily locate older items. The sorting options are in a small drop down menu just below the search field in the main 1Password window.

Not that I want to dissuade you from being proactive but even government bodies are beginning to view regular password changing as not an effective tool in improving your security although its probably assumed a password manager isn't being used. The one I'm thinking of is The problems with forcing regular password expiry and it was from the always insightful Troy Hunt that I learned of that particular post.

Assuming your typical passwords are as insanely complex as the ones I have 1Password generate then regular changing of passwords can only protect you against a compromised where the intrusion has not been made public. It's potentially a lot of effort for what feels like diminishing returns. As you're already likely using unique passwords for each site you no longer have to worry about credential stuffing. If a site has been compromised to the extent that the attacker has useable passwords then until the site fixes the attack point you and the rest of the users are probably at risk anyway.

You may have a different perspective to one I've considered so please do let us know your thoughts. I hope the sort order is useful though.

• vaarkamp
    vaarkamp
    Community Member
    Options

Wow @littlebobbytables ! What a great explanation.
    I keep it a bit shorter.

The security officer at my work (a Hospital in The Netherlands) advices everyone to change their passwords frequently.
    I want to do that as well for my personal passwords. That's why I requested this functionality.
    I thought it was enabled in a previous version of 1Password?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @vaarkamp,

I can't speak to the very first versions of 1Password, the first version I used was 1Password 3 for Mac but I don't remember there ever being a reminder feature for changing passwords. I apologise that I don't have anything more positive to offer, all I can think of is to sort by password age I'm afraid.

• paul_piglobal
    paul_piglobal
    Community Member
    Options

I'd like to an add a "Me Too" to the reminder request.

Unfortunately, not all of us have a choice regarding the enforced password change and are required through an external policy or regulation. Additionally, if managing freelance staff, a reminder would come in handy.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for sharing your feedback about this as well @paul_piglobal! :+1:

This discussion has been closed.