Trouble with Safari extension in 1Password 7

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: 1 password does not working in Safari.

Comments

• ChristianDan
    ChristianDan
    Community Member
    Options

I am feeling a little taken by this. My membership with 1Password.com affords me access to extensions available for Chrome and Firefox; 1PasswordX. This extension is not available for Safari. I had 1Password 6x mini for Safari. It worked fine. When the upgrade came, I installed it, 7.3.1. It worked fine. Now it does not. Now, after the fact, I am being asked to pay for the upgrade. Do I understand that each upgrade to the stand alone 'desktop' 1Password application will have additional cost? If so, why is that information not provided before we perform the upgrade? Since I have a membership with 1Password.com, the cost may be added to my membership (unless it is already included in my membership) and a simple agreement would be all that is required. My payment method could then be accessed through my membership profile and it would be a simple process.

Instead, not only am I being asked to pay an additional fee, after the fact, my time is being wasted (having to access this forum) by poor communication on the part of AgileBits. It's bad enough that 1PasswordX doesn't work with Safari, to no fault of AgileBits.

Improvement on the up -front communication is all that is required for a seamless upgrade. Pretty surprising that I have to make this suggestion.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @ChristianDan

If you have a 1Password membership (subscription) there are no additional costs. That includes everything. Where are you seeing that you are being asked to pay for an upgrade? With the standalone licensing option it is true that each new version would be a separate purchase — that's part of what makes membership so convenient. If you're seeing a prompt for payment it may be that you aren't signed into your 1Password account within 1Password for Mac.

We're not able to offer 1Password X for Safari at this point. Hopefully that'll be possible in the future, but there are some technical hurdles that have to be overcome before that'll be the case. If you're using 1Password for Mac you'll still be able to use the extension you're used to that integrates with mini. With 1Password 7 this extension doesn't require any separate installation in Safari, it just has to be enabled in Safari > Preferences > Extensions.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• ChristianDan
    ChristianDan
    Community Member
    Options

Are you saying I need to be logged into both 1Password.com, and 1Password 7.3.1 in order for 1Password mini to work in Safari? Are you also saying that I don't need to pay for the 1Password desktop application because I have an account on 1Password.com?

I have enabled it many times. I will try it now on Safari. I happen to be on Chrome right now.

I went over to Safari and "opened" the extension from the preferences window. Then I logged into 1Password 7. Still, 1Password mini is not working. I define 1Password mini as the icon that works in the browser. Mini just does not work.

Is this what I have to pay for? The ability to have the application work in the browser, as it should?

Where did I hear I had to pay. From the previous post which is not available now in view. Lars wrote:
    Welcome to the forum, @mukl! Do you see a "Read Only" badge in the top-right corner of any of your items, when viewing in the main 1Password window? If so, that means you've installed 1Password 7 for Mac but not paid for it. 1Password 7 for Mac is a full-version, paid upgrade from earlier versions, and that means if it's not authorized via payment, you won't be able to add, delete or edit any of your data and you won't be able to use the browser extension(s). If you click the Read Only badge, you'll be presented with the Purchase Options screen, which will give you an idea of your options. We recommend a 1password.com membership, for multiple reasons. Let us know if you have any questions! :)

Bottom line is, 1Password desktop version, an application I purchased years ago and have upgraded over the years, does not work. I was advised to join membership with 1Password.com and I would not have to pay ever again, beyond the annual membership. Because Safari does not work with the 1Password X (1Password.com) application, I am left with this 1Password 7.x upgrade, which does not work.

It worked the first day I installed it. Now it does not work with the Safari browser. I have to copy passwords from the 1Password web-based version in order to login to applications and sites using Safari. This means using Safari has become more trouble than it is worth.

BTW, works fine on iOS.

• Ben
    Options

Are you saying I need to be logged into both 1Password.com, and 1Password 7.3.1 in order for 1Password mini to work in Safari?

You would need to be signed into your 1Password.com account within 1Password for Mac, yes. This guide may help:
    https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#migrate-your-data-on-your-main-device

Are you also saying that I don't need to pay for the 1Password desktop application because I have an account on 1Password.com?

Correct. 1Password membership (subscription) includes access to all of the latest 1Password apps.

Is this what I have to pay for? The ability to have the application work in the browser, as it should?

No; there are currently no separate expenses available / necessary when using a membership. I suspect based on what we've discussed the trouble is you haven't added your 1Password account to 1Password 7 for Mac.

Please let me know if that helps. If you're still having trouble I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/105744/trouble-with-safari-extension-in-1password-7#latest
    • Your forum username: ChristianDan

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.