upgraded to 7: uninstall 6?; license or membership?

megaboz
megaboz
Community Member

After purchasing 1Password7 from the App Store, I seem to have two versions on my Macbook now. Do i uninstall 6? How?

It is prompting for a membership or license and the instructions as to how to find that account info are only leading me back to the prompt to enter that information. Don’t know what to do if anything with that.

I got a message saying sync failed. I cant tell which version of 1Password is doing that...

I cant help but comment that upgrading should be much simpler than this...

1Password Version: V6 and V7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @megaboz,

If you've downloaded 1Password 7 from the Mac App Store then I'm afraid you haven't purchased 1Password 7. Due to the Mac App Store not being great for paid updates we made the decision with 1Password 7 to make the Mac App Store version for 1Password accounts only. That way there's no more faffing about, the user is always entitled to all updates as that is part of the subscription costs associated with a 1Password account. 1Password 7 licences are still a thing but they can only be purchased in-app in the 1Password available from our "Downloads - 1Password" page.

This will be why it's prompting for account details.

The first thing we need to do is help you make a decision about if you wish to make the move to 1Password 7 given it requires either an active 1Password account or a new licence. If you're curious about the 1Password account option a good place to start is our support page About 1Password membership. It comes with a 30 day trial so you can get a feel for it and decide if it's for you. A licence is still an option and 1Password 7 supports all the same sync methods as 1Password 6.

Lastly, while it isn't something we can be enthusiastic about recommending, your previous purchase does still allow you to run 1Password 6, that hasn't changed simply because we've released 1Password 7. The reason why I'm not as keen is because 1Password 6 has already lost compatibility with the Brave browser and we do fully expect Safari 13 will be incompatible with 1Password 6. Safari 13 looks to only support the new Safari App Extension approach to Safari extensions and that will mean a minimum of 1Password 7.2 for Mac. Of course if your preferred browser is either Firefox or a supported Chromium based browser then we're not aware of any impending changes at the moment.

You've probably got a few questions and we'll happily answer any you have so that you can make an informed decision about the best move for you.

While you decide please don't forget that even if 1Password 7 is in read-only mode at the moment you will still be able to copy and paste. Your 1Password data is not being held hostage and you will still be able to use copy and paste to sign into any account. If you do decide to return to 1Password 6 any existing purchase is of course still valid and 1Password 6 will work as it has in the past.

• megaboz
    megaboz
    Community Member

Thank you for the response. That was very helpful.

If I do buy a license or create an account for 1Password 7, are there any special instructions for uninstalling 1Password6? I am concerned I might destroy or corrupt the vaults. I use Dropbox.

Thanks again

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @megaboz,

So as long as you don't use a third party app cleaner then there isn't anything serious you can do that can't be undone :smile:

The very first time 1Password 7 is run it should migrate all of your 1Password 6 data but it is copying only, any 1Password 6 data is left as is meaning returning to 1Password 6 is relatively straightforward. If you have both 1Password 6 and 1Password 7 listed in your /Applications/ folder and you're not sure which is running the easiest thing to do is quit whatever copy is running and you can do that most easily byholding down the alt/option key and clicking on the 1Password icon in the macOS menu bar at the top of the screen. Select the menu option Quit 1Password Completely. With neither copy running you can safely drag the 1Password 6 application bundle to the Trash and then return and launch 1Password 7. If you know 1Password 6 is definitely not running you just need to drag the application bundle to the Trash.

Please do say if you have any further questions, if I missed anything or certain areas would benefit with more details.

• megaboz
    megaboz
    Community Member

Thanks again. Your instructions were very helpful.

Best

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

If I was helpful then I'm happy :smile: If you run into any trouble at all please let us know otherwise I hope it all goes smoothly and that 1Password serves you well.

This discussion has been closed.