Two-factor authentication: What if I lose access to all authenticated devices simultaneously?

Options
MerryBit
MerryBit
Community Member

Hello everyone,

Apologies in advance if this issue has been brought up before, but a quick search on these forums didn't turn up the answer to my question which is this:

Suppose I turn on two-factor authentication on my 1Password account and then proceed to lose all my trusted (logged in) devices at the same time. This could happen if I lost my rucksack containing my laptop and phone, for example.

How would I regain access to my account without access to my authentication app or a trusted device? Would I be able to recover the account at all?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

-MerryBit

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @MerryBit

My suggestion would be, when setting up 2FA, to print a copy of the QR code and store it with your Emergency Kit:

Get to know your Emergency Kit

That said, unlike the Master Password, our security team can assist you in resetting 2FA on your account if you find yourself in such a situation and didn't do the aforementioned planning ahead. It may take a few days for them to do so though (due to the level of verification required), so planning ahead is definitely the better option. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.