Autofill on Safari / Mac

AlfonsoFigueroa
AlfonsoFigueroa
Community Member

Total Mac noobie here, sorry if I’m asking something obvious.

How does autofill work on Safari? For a web login that is in my main vault, should autofill launch automatically when the 1Password safari toolbar icon is pressed? So far I have to press the button in the toolbar and then press again the “autofill” button (or use the Command key combination)

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @AlfonsoFigueroa! Welcome to the forum!

1Password will never fill anything automatically unless you tell it to. As you correctly wrote, you need to either invoke 1Password with the keyboard shortcut, or by clicking on the 1Password browser extension. Only then will 1Password fill your information on the page for you :)

• AlfonsoFigueroa
    AlfonsoFigueroa
    Community Member

Hi ag_ana thanks for your answer. My question is, if I press the small square button next to the address bar (safari extension) should it fill automatically? Right now I have to press that button, which opens a small window with the login credentials/name and an autofill button, that I have to press too. So I have to click two buttons to have it autofill. Is that the normal behavior?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@AlfonsoFigueroa:

Yes, that's the correct behavior if you want to click on the browser extension to fill your data. If you click on the browser extension, you will then have to select the account you want to login to.

If you use the keyboard shortcut instead, 1Password will do this a bit faster, and it will fill the correct credentials right away (unless there are multiple logins for that webpage). So I recommend using the keyboard shortcut if you want to make things quicker.

• AlfonsoFigueroa
    AlfonsoFigueroa
    Community Member

Thanks @ag_ana for your reply.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.