Storing SSH keys in 1Password - really doesn't work at all well

Options
124»

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the 1Password Support Community, @ferni! Thanks for weighing in.

• voichould
    voichould
    Community Member
    Options

+1

• ploppmk
    ploppmk
    Community Member
    Options

+1 on storing SSH-keys, certificates and so on.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you both! I have passed your feedback to the developers :+1:

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#21

• leonardder
    leonardder
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for me as well. I've been using KeePass to store my SSH keys, which has a plugin that allows PuTTY to fetch them automatically. I'm now switching back to pageant for that since it's not holding me back from using 1Password, but yet at least SSH key storage would be extremely helpful.
    Note that paid alternatives like Bitwarden do support them.

• craigfisher
    craigfisher
    Community Member
    Options

+1 (if not more!) for this. The ability to store OTP codes in 1password has made my life easier.... it's SSH that's still a PITA. PLEASE seriously consider this... Otherwise we're stuck with pageant and a separate set of credentials...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@leonardder, @craigfisher:

Thank you, noted both! :+1:

• craigfisher
    craigfisher
    Community Member
    Options

I've decided that best compromise is to store the puttygen .ppk file as a Document, along with the password (as a password field) along with a Text field that creates/appends the Public Key (from puttygen) into the ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file. This allows me to have a simple copy/paste into a new host and my public key is useable immediately. I've still got my original ppk and password stored in 1password 'just in case'... Still pretty ugly though ;-)

• mvest
    mvest
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for SSH keys in 1Password, although I am not necessarily for a new "SSH" item. More like "Key Pair".
    I think the obvious solution to this is the already-mentioned multi-line password field, which would have other usages than just private keys I am sure.
    Thanks to this thread I discovered the ability to put Documents (I am still starting with 1Password), but it is not as practical as you cannot just copy the content directly like a password

• mcdaniel_isaac
    mcdaniel_isaac
    Community Member
    Options

I'd like to voice my support for a better SSH storage solution inside 1Password

• ian________________b
    ian________________b
    Community Member
    Options

This is literally the only missing feature that has prevented me from rolling this out in my company. Sadly no commercial competitor seems to do this either, which is presumably why there's evidently zero pressure internally on 1P to implement this. First one to do it can sell me a couple of hundred licences, but I guess that's not enough to sway them :-)

• Ben
    Options

@ian________________b

I'd encourage you to reach out to our business team at business@1password.com to discuss your use case and what doesn't work well with the existing options. They'd be in the best position to advocate for this from a business perspective. :+1:

Ben

• ian________________b
    ian________________b
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben I raised it a few times with them when trialling 1password a few months back :-)

• Ben
    Options

Gotcha. Thanks. :)

Ben

• meilon
    meilon
    Community Member
    Options

Also a +1 from me. Would need it for the Windows client with PuTTy. Would like to automatically serve requests when 1Password is unlocked.

• johnpitchko
    johnpitchko
    Community Member
    Options

Yes please for better category for SSH keys. Why does 1Password have a category for Outdoor Licence but not something as fundamental for IT users as SSH keys? Heck, I see there is even a category now for API credential yet no SSH keypair.

• noclue
    noclue
    Community Member
    Options

To solve this I have created a script to download temporary the keys and use them,

TMPFILE=$(mktemp) ; op get document ${1} >${TMPFILE} ; ssh -i ${TMPFILE} host

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

All feedback noted, thank you! I have let the developers know that you would also find this useful :+1:

• icorbrey
    icorbrey
    Community Member
    Options

+1'ing this feature, right now I'm storing my SSH and GPG keys as files and my PATs as passwords, and while it technically works it's a pain to use. I would love to have proper places for these things. I'd also love to be able to have my computer directly use the keys from 1Password without additional configuration, but that seems less likely lol

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @icorbrey. As noclue pointed out above it is possible to use keys stored as Document items from the command line by using our CLI.

Ben

• entenfuss
    entenfuss
    Community Member
    Options

+1 from me! We need this function to share team-wide SSH keys for SFTP access.

This discussion has been closed.