To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Locked Out

ericknit
ericknit
Community Member

I am locked out. I have my secret key, how do I use it to reset my password?

I am somehow able to login on one of my devices (Mac OS) using an old password. I assume this Mac is using a local file, not the subscription, yet under preferences it says I am subscribed.

Anyway, I need to gain access to my account online. Thanks,

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: 7.3.2
OS Version: Mac OS 10.14.1, IOS 12
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:locked out

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ericknit! Welcome to the forum! :)

The way 1Password unlocks is this:

1. If a Primary vault exists, then you unlock 1Password using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of whether you have 1Password account added to the 1Password app under Settings
    2. If a single 1Password membership account is signed into the app, then you unlock 1Password using the Master Password for that membership account

In light of this, it is possible that your Mac is using a Primary vault, and that your 1Password account is using a different Master Password. For your privacy and security, your Master Password is not stored anywhere, only you know it. This means that it is not possible to recover it unless you are a member of a Families or Business accounts. If you have an Individual account or a standalone license, I recommend reading this article to try and recover your Master Password.

If, on the other hand, you are part of a Families or Business account, you can ask another Admin to recover your account for you.

If you still cannot recover your Master Password, we can certainly delete your account so you can create a new one with a new Master Password you know.

• ericknit
    ericknit
    Community Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I have read that article already. It didn't help my situation.

Just to be clear...I can not recover my account with just my secret key. Correct? (I have my secret key, but do not know my password for 1password.com.

If that is the case, I will need to "start over". However, I have been using 1Password for many years and losing my saved data would be very painful. I need to ensure that starting over would not somehow delete the data off of the MAC where I am able to login to the 1password app successfully.

Please advise.

• @ericknit

If you are able to unlock 1Password on your Mac that would indicate that you have a "Primary" vault there, which has a different Master Password than your membership account. If you unlock 1Password on the Mac do you see a vault called "Personal" or "Private" in the vault switcher? If so, do you see a Login item for 1Password.com in that vault? That item should have the Master Password you need saved on it.

Just to be clear...I can not recover my account with just my secret key. Correct? (I have my secret key, but do not know my password for 1password.com.

Correct; you need both.

Ben

• ericknit
    ericknit
    Community Member

Ben, you rock. I was able to get it there.

• That is very good news @ericknit. I'd recommend printing a physical copy of your Emergency Kit as soon as possible, and writing in the Master Password from that login item on it:

Get to know your Emergency Kit

Once you've done so I'd recommend verifying that all of your data is accessible to you by logging in at https://my.1password.com (e.g there are no items in the "Primary" vault on the Mac that aren't on 1Password.com). Once you've verified that, please delete the Primary vault from any/all devices:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.