Travel, spotty internet/wifi, and using public devices

shani
shani
Community Member

Hi, I'm new here, and I'm trying to figure out what would happen when I travel. Often, the internet is spotty or unreliable in some places I go to, or there is no wifi option for connecting my device. Or, in some cases, my phone and/or computer cannot connect to the wireless network that is available to me. So, I might need to use a different device in order to do my work, and my concern is that with all the 1Password generated passwords that I was never meant to remember, I can't get into anything without access to 1Password. What would I do in that case? Do I have to download 1Password on the other person's computer? If I can't do that or it's not someone I trust, how might I access my passwords?

I'm only currently using 1Password in a trial, and wanting to make sure I understand some things before I get too deeply dependent on it. I'm actually a little confused about the various names of the various applications that work on different devices. All I know is I have it on my desktop (mac), my browser (chrome), and my android phone.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:travel

Comments

• Hi @shani,

I'd be happy to try and help with those questions.

Often, the internet is spotty or unreliable in some places I go to, or there is no wifi option for connecting my device.

Accessing the 1Password data on your device does not require an internet connection. You can test how this will work by disconnecting from WiFi and/or turning on Airplane Mode on your device and then launching 1Password. It should work the same as it would if you were connected to the internet, with the exception that changes won't sync.

If I can't do that or it's not someone I trust, how might I access my passwords?

Don't. :) In all seriousness, this isn't something we would support doing. There is no telling what might happen with the information you enter on such a computer. You'll have no way of knowing if your credentials or any other information you access from such a device are recorded. This is true regardless of which or even if you use a password manager. Accessing any sort of sensitive or private data from a device you don't control is generally considered unwise.

If you absolutely have to do this for some reason I'd suggest not accessing 1Password on the untrusted device, but rather looking up your credentials on your own device. Again, you can do this even without internet access. Then as soon as humanly possible, once you get back to a trusted device with internet, you'll want to change the passwords for any accounts you accessed from the untrusted device. Be aware though that the damage may already be done.

I'm actually a little confused about the various names of the various applications that work on different devices.

What can we help clarify?

Ben

This discussion has been closed.