Unresponsive extension on the Safari toolbar and Menu Toolbar

dsimon9
dsimon9
Community Member

Hello:

For the most part 1Password 7 is working well. There is an intermittent issue which has occurred maybe 3 or 4 times since purchasing the app. There are times when the 1Password extension button in the Safari toolbar as well as the menu bar located at the top of the finder screen become unresponsive. What I mean is that clicking on either one does not trigger a response by 1Password. The work around so far has been to either shut down Safari and restart it, or opening the main 1Password app.

Has anybody else experienced the same issue and if so, is there a fix?

Thanks in advance for your prompt response.

P.S. Not sure if I got the proper version for the 1Password extension, but it is the latest and greatest version.
P.S.S. Safari Version 12.1.1 (14607.2.6.1.1)

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.3.2 (70302004)
Extension Version: 7.3.2
OS Version: OS X 10.14.5 (Mojave)
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dsimon9 - I'm sorry for the trouble! Have you noticed any pattern to when this happens? It's a bit hard to say what might be going on from just your description. What I'd recommend is trying to narrow down the conditions/circumstances under which it happens, so we can try to reproduce it here. We've not noticed any widespread instances of 1Password mini/extension becoming unresponsive, but then we don't have the same exact setup as millions of users out there, either. So if you can help us narrow down the conditions under which this happens, it may help us squash a bug. Thanks! :)

• dsimon9
    dsimon9
    Community Member

Thank you for your reply Lars. Duplicating the steps to cause the issue has been a challenge. The main reason I have waited at least at least a month to post about it. It is more likely to happen when I open a new window in Safari (not a new tab). I normally don't open new windows, but there are times when I click on a link in an email that causes a new window to open. Not sure this is very helpful, but I will keep trying to sort out the sequence which causes the problem.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dsimon9 - Hmmm, yeah, just opening a new Safari window shouldn't cause what you've observed, which leads me to suspect there's something additional going on. Let us know what you discover. :)

• dsimon9
    dsimon9
    Community Member

Ok, I can reproduce the problem. Yipee!!! If I open the 1password extension in Safari (latest version), enter my passphrase, do a search for a web site I want to access, and instead of clicking on the web site login information, I click (by mistake) on a secure note associated with the web site, nothing happens (as expected) but then the 1Password extension in Safari as well as the 1Password option in the top menu bar become un-responsive. At this point, I must quit Safari and re-start it. Hopefully, you can reproduce the problem at your location.

Thanks in advance for your prompt response.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the additional information @dsimon9! I have just one more question for you:

instead of clicking on the web site login information, I click (by mistake) on a secure note associated with the web site

Do you mean that this secure note is linked to the Login item, or that it simply shows up in the list of results when searching?

• dsimon9
    dsimon9
    Community Member

I think the answer is yes. :) Recently, I upgraded from 1Password 6, where I would have "imported attachments" included with some of my accounts. It is my understanding that 1Password 7, separated the "imported attachments" documents from the original login data. The "imported attachments" now show up as a separate entity when doing a search. So when I do a search both the login information and the "imported attachments" are listed. Between my fast typing and muscle memory, I end up typing the site, the results are listed and I press "return" which with 6 would be the login info, but now with 7 it is the "imported attachment". By doing this, 1Password gets confused (I think) and results in the extension hanging.

I hope I made sense. If not, let me know. Thanks in advance for your prompt response.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the additional information @dsimon9! I tried following the process that I think you are following but I could not reproduce the issue here. Is there any chance you could record a short video of your screen and send it to us via email?

This discussion has been closed.