1password inside Parallels 15 Mac OS X guest VM causes extreme delays. I think TouchID is the issue

bjornharvold
bjornharvold
Community Member

Parallels 15 introduced support for Touch ID. However, I am still not able to get TouchID working inside my Mac guest vm. Furthermore, I think 1password is looking for it too during startup and hangs an extraordinary amount of time before letting me enter my master password.

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Parallels

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bjornharvold: For Touch ID, 1Password simply makes an API call to the OS to find out if it's available or not. It definitely works natively on Apple hardware, so it sounds like the delay would be in Parallels handling the response from the host to the client. We don't have any way of knowing how they're even handling that, so I'm not sure what to suggest, unfortunately. If I had to guess, they're "emulating" (almost certainly the wrong word) Touch ID completely is software and there is no support for the Secure Enclave in the client OS, which 1Password 7 depends on. Does Touch ID work with 1Password 6, or other apps, just not 1Password 7? As far as I know, 1Password 7 is unique in using the latest Touch ID APIs which support the Secure Enclave for additional security, so it wouldn't surprise me.

This discussion has been closed.