How to automatically let 1Password lock after 1 min?

kingjojo
kingjojo
Community Member

Hi,

I noticed that there is no option to have 1Password automatically lock after say just 1 minute after unlocking it.
I thought I remember that such an option did exist in the past, although I'm not able to find it.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kingjojo!

You can only set a 1Password autolock timer when the computer is idle, but if you open 1Password Preferences > Security tab, you can change the lock settings under the Auto-lock section :)

• kingjojo
    kingjojo
    Community Member

Hi,

sorry for my late reply.

Is there any possibility that 1Password will implement that feature? I'm really concerned about the security as it won't automatically lock and it's too often the case that I forget to do that. I'm surely not alone with that concern and I think that malicious software has it easier to exploit it with such a possibly unlimited time window of an unlocked vault.

Thanks

• I would doubt that 1Password's lock state would have any real impact if you had malicious software on your computer. The malicious software could simply wait until you unlocked 1Password.

Beside that fact, the much more likely attack vector in that case would be to simply read the passwords out of password fields as you input them (whether you use 1Password or not). Someone isn't likely to build software to attack 1Password in that way because they could much more easily read the data from your web browser as you enter it, and have a much higher success rate (e.g. it would affect people who aren't using 1Password as well).

The primary purpose of locking 1Password is to prevent someone else who may have access to your computer from being able to simply open 1Password and have access to all of your data. That's why most of our lock settings focus on idle-related timers. You can also set 1Password to lock automatically when you close it, if you want. That way it'll be locked whenever you aren't using it. If your concern is malware though I would suggest that 1Password is not the only tool you need to be using, or only thing you need to be doing to protect yourself. Other areas of security hygiene are still important (e.g. not clicking links in email, only installing software from trusted sources, being very cautious of what browser extensions you install, etc).

Ben

This discussion has been closed.