Suggestion: Allow viewing site 2FA was just activated on to paste recovery codes

blimmer
blimmer
Community Member

When enabling 2 factor auth for a site via the Two-Factor Authentication option on the left-hand panel, the item disappears and the next site is automatically selected once the QR code is scanned (since it no longer needing 2 Factor auth to be enabled). However, on almost every site, you're given recovery codes you need to save (for instance, in the "notes" section). However, you have to go search for the item again because it is no longer active.

This is kind of annoying and, worst-case if you're doing a bunch of sites at once, you could accidentally paste the recovery codes into the wrong site.

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @blimmer

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this subject. It seems the alternative would be to continue to list items that are no longer part of that list, which may cause just as much or more confusion? 🤔

Also, for what it's worth, storing these recovery codes may very well be superfluous. You can read more on that thought process here:
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/500888/#Comment_500888

Ben

• blimmer
    blimmer
    Community Member

I wonder if a possible solution could be to leave the row item after the QR code is scanned, but have it go away when you click into another item in the list?

I see some of the argument for not storing recovery codes, but some sites also require you to enter one to prove that you've copied it somewhere.

• @blimmer

I wonder if a possible solution could be to leave the row item after the QR code is scanned, but have it go away when you click into another item in the list?

That might be a possibility. I'll pass the thought along to the rest of the team for further consideration. :)

I see some of the argument for not storing recovery codes, but some sites also require you to enter one to prove that you've copied it somewhere.

I can understand their desire to prevent folks from shooting themselves in the foot.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.