Needs to be a way to manually sync your data

richeldecos
richeldecos
Community Member

This is a problem with all of the 1Password applications. Mac, Windows, iOS

Any application that requires syncing with a server needs to have a manual sync option. Dropbox, Google Drive, etc. all have this because it's common sense. I don't know how you've released 1Password 7 and multiple updates since then and still haven't thought to add this.

My 1password account was frozen. I paid for it through the website, and then it was active, but the app would NOT sync and still kept me locked out and "frozen". I was in the middle of a lengthy registration process but wasn't able to generate or save a password for it. Since I have no idea how often you automatically sync.. 5 minutes? 10? An hour? I wasn't going to sit around and wait for it.

So I had to restart my computer and then FINALLY the app unfroze my account but I had to start over with that registration.

As you can probably tell, I'm pretty upset. First with the fact that I've paid for Mac and iOS licenses in the past but now I have to start paying a monthly or annual fee for something I already paid for. The least you can do is GD unfreeze my account and sync it so that the app doesn't keep locking me out after it's unfrozen.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @richeldecos

I'm very sorry to hear that things aren't operating as expected, and that you are upset. I'd be happy to help you resolve these issues.

1Password automatically syncs all the time, unless it isn't running at all. It does this through a 'notifier' process that is constantly connected to the server. Whenever the server notices a change from any of your devices it sends a notification to all of your devices to sync. If that isn't happening then something on your devices and/or network are preventing the notifier from making that connection. Locking and unlocking 1Password will 'force' a sync, if one is possible. We don't add a manual 'sync' button because sync is designed to be seamless and automatic. If it isn't, then we need to fix that, rather than work around it by expecting customers to hit a button.

Are you still having trouble with changes made on one device not appearing on others? If so I'd like to ask you to please perform the following experiment to help us determine which device(s) may not be operating as expected:

In 1Password for iOS open Settings > Advanced > Log Settings and enable the Sync log setting.

1. One at a time, add a Secure Note on each device, and note the time that you save the note
    2. Check https://my.1password.com in a web browser to see if it has received the changes
    3. Check each other device to see if they have received the changes
      If they have not, note the time at which you checked
    4. In the event you find a device where a change has not synced please try locking and unlocking that device. Note if the change then appeared and either way, what time it is
    5. If none of the devices show the change please try locking and unlocking the origin device (the one you made the change on) and then check again

When complete turn off the advanced sync logging in 1Password for iOS and then send us a diagnostic report from each device, as well as the information noted above:

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/107119/needs-to-be-a-way-to-manually-sync-your-data#latest
    • Your forum username: richeldecos

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• richeldecos
    richeldecos
    Community Member

Ok the instant syncing of items makes more sense.

Then what you are missing is syncing of account changes. e.g. signed up for a payment plan, or paid to unfreeze an account. Those changes were not syncing on either Windows or Mac until I restarted the computers.

• Then what you are missing is syncing of account changes. e.g. signed up for a payment plan, or paid to unfreeze an account. Those changes were not syncing on either Windows or Mac until I restarted the computers.

Gotcha. Let me check with our development team and see what the expectation there is, and if it is indeed currently expected that a reboot is required to resolve that I'll see if we can improve that. Thank you for the feedback!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.