How to generate passwords in 1Password X

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Problem auto generating passwords.

Comments

• slate
    slate
    Community Member
    edited September 2019
    Options

(Edited for clarity)
    I have discovered several ways to generate passwords through 1 Password, but I keep running into fringe cases where 1 Password doesn't understand the situation well enough to offer me the ability to just generate a password. Sometimes it offers me the ability to generate a new password and to update my password at the same time from the dropdown.

I have resorted to going to https://1password.com/password-generator/ because 1 Password isn't offering me the ability to perform the same thing in some situations.

On top of this, there are things like Chrome showing password suggestions even though the configuration says that 1 Password is in charge.

Also there are situations where the web site presents the "new password" box in a funky way that 1 Password can't detect.

Overall, I would appreciate a generic password generator from the UI (both the extension and the windows app). Even if the extension is the smartest thing in the world, it is too painful right now, from a user experience perspective, to just generate a new password when things go wrong.

I believe one of the older versions of 1 Password had a simple "generate password" function.

Platform: Windows 10 Pro 64bit 1903
    Browser: Chrome 77.0.3865.90
    Extension: 1Password X 1.16.2 and the app 7.3.712

• slate
    slate
    Community Member
    Options

Can you share the answer? I posted another thread about having trouble simply generating a password in the new version.
    Thank you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@slate: Without even knowing the OS and 1Password versions you're running, I don't know what to tell you. Can you let us know what you're using?

• slate
    slate
    Community Member
    Options

Well I was just asking for the same information someone else had received, not for my own personal answer. :) But I'll take the help thank you :)

I'm running Chrome 77.0.3865.90, the current build as of 9/18/2019. 1Password Version: 7.3.712
    Extension Version: 1.16.2
    OS Version: Windows 10 64bit 1903 update
    Sync Type: 1Password

As I mentioned in my post to "Problem auto generating passwords" here https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/107096/problem-auto-generating-passwords#latest

My main concern comes from situations where the intelligence of 1PasswordX has difficulties. When things run smoothly I can easily generate a new password. But when things do not run smoothly, it is hard for me to find an easy way to just "generate password". I was hoping that maybe ad_chen had found an easy, foolproof, "generate password" button.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@slate: It really depends on the specific situation/setup, and we're not going to take information we exchange in a private conversation with someone and make it public if they haven't authorized that or done so themselves. So I'm happy to address your specific issue. I've merged your various posts into a single discussion to avoid confusion and duplication of effort. :)

Since you're using 1Password X in your web browser, you can use the Suggested Password feature right in the inline menu:

And you can also use the full password generator from the "+" in the toolbar menu if you need to customize the password that is generated:

I hope this helps, but if you have any questions let me know. :)

This discussion has been closed.