To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Can I store my data on iCloud if I have a subscription license?

Options
oogabooga
oogabooga
Community Member

In 1password6 I am able to store my vault on iCloud and have it sync with my two Macs and two iOS devices.

If I upgrade to 1password7 and get a subscription license, will I continue to be able to store my vault on iCloud? I would prefer that.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Can I store my data in iCloud

Comments

• Hi @oogabooga

1Password membership vaults can only be synced via 1Password.com (or 1Password.eu or 1Password.ca, if you've created your account in one of those regions). iCloud doesn't have the underpinnings that are necessary for many of the features of membership to work.

Ben

• oogabooga
    oogabooga
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the quick reply.

So what will happen to my iCloud vault if I upgrade to the subscription license? Will 1password7 automatically transfer/duplicate my vault into a "membership vault"?

Is there an alternative to a "membership vault"? I don't need any of the membership features offered with the new vaults. Basically the only reason I have for upgrading is because of this Safari 13 issue... I want everything else to stay the way it is now.

Thanks,
    Sam

• @oogabooga

So what will happen to my iCloud vault if I upgrade to the subscription license? Will 1password7 automatically transfer/duplicate my vault into a "membership vault"?

Correct; if you upgrade to a 1Password membership your data would be migrated. The migration process is fairly straight forward but we do have a guide available if you want to follow along:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Is there an alternative to a "membership vault"? I don't need any of the membership features offered with the new vaults. Basically the only reason I have for upgrading is because of this Safari 13 issue... I want everything else to stay the way it is now.

Membership is the way forward with 1Password. We're no longer advertising licenses. For customers who are already familiar with the licensing situation and are comfortable with the "DIY" approach they offer it is possible to purchase one from within the 1Password 7 for Mac or 1Password 7 for Windows applications (sold separately). I'd highly recommend taking a look at 1Password membership, which will give you access to the latest versions of 1Password for all of your compatible devices (no more separate license fees). You can read about the benefits here:

About 1Password membership

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• oogabooga
    oogabooga
    Community Member
    edited September 2019
    Options

Hi Ben,

Thanks again for your quick reply.

I appreciate your comments about membership being the way forward with 1Password, but it doesn't actually address my question, which is:

If I do purchase a membership, is there **any **way (including a DIY way) to have 1Password use a) a vault stored on iCloud or b) a vault stored locally on my computer?

Thanks,
    Sam

• There is a way, yes, but it isn't something that we'd recommend, and have certainly seen issues resulting from doing so. If you're going to go the membership route I would strongly encourage you to use it as designed, rather than trying to wedge a square peg in a round hole, as it were.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.