Backup failed

Options
mignolo
mignolo
Community Member

Hi, my mac shows me notification "backup failed", mac os 10.14.6 and 1Password7. Attach photo

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: osx 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @mignolo! I'm sorry for the trouble. Are you using standalone vaults? Or a 1Password account? Or both?

• mignolo
    mignolo
    Community Member
    Options

thanks, 1 pass account

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mignolo - Let's try restarting your Mac before we do a deeper dive -- let me know if that works for you.

• mignolo
    mignolo
    Community Member
    Options

ok. then I'll let you know

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

• mignolo
    mignolo
    Community Member
    Options

done!!! Now the message no longer comes out. But I can't find the "Backup" tab in the settings ...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mignolo - if you do not see "Backups" or "Sync" as options in 1Password > Preferences, then that would be because you appear to have created a 1password.com membership account. Was that not what you were planning to do? You can check this by clicking 1Password > Preferences > Accounts and seeing if you have an account listed there. If so, I'd make sure you a) have a copy of your Emergency Kit, and b) that you can open your favorite browser and sign into the account at https://my.1password.com -- let me know how that goes.

• mignolo
    mignolo
    Community Member
    Options

yes, I made a 1Password account and downloaded the emergency kit. I can connect from my browser to my account. If I lose my account, do I have to use the emergency kit to restore?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mignolo - the Emergency Kit is your fail-safe. When you first add your account into a 1Password app or try signing into a browser you've not used previously to do so, you'll be required to enter both your chosen Master Password and your Secret Key. Once you've done that, however, the Secret Key will be stored (either in the app or in browser local storage) so that subsequent unlocks require only our Master Password, much like it's always been in standalone 1Password. But if you lose your Secret Key, your account becomes a walking zombie, more or less: you can't ever sign in again anywhere you're not already signed into, and if/when any of those fail or are upgraded/hard drive crash/etc...you're locked out completely. So save your Emergency Kit and write your Master Password on it and keep it in a floor safe or a safety deposit box at your bank or with a trusted attorney. That way, if you forget your Master Password or need to sign in somewhere new and don't know your Secret Key (and you shouldn't have to memorize it), you'll be able to do so and you won't lose access to your account/data.

• mignolo
    mignolo
    Community Member
    Options

Ok...thanks a lot.. long life to 1Password!!!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Lars, you are welcome! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.