Folder sync in 1Password 7 for Mac?

Options
syncrasy
syncrasy
Community Member
edited September 2019 in Mac

I use 1Password 6 for Mac (standalone app, not a membership). I sync my two computers via Folder sync (over my network). Following a September 2019 Apple Safari/security/system update, my Safari extension disappeared and it appears that my only option to get it back is to upgrade to 1Password 7. Before I spend money on the upgrade, can you confirm if 1Password 7 standalone app still supports Folder sync?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Folder

Comments

• Hi @syncrasy

I can confirm that the sync options in 1Password 7 for Mac have not changed from 1Password 6 for Mac. I would highlight the warning on our guide about folder sync and its purpose / function, though, in case you were not aware:

Only sync to a folder on a local or removable drive, like an external hard drive or USB flash drive. Syncing to a folder on a network volume, like a Time Capsule or other NAS, may cause problems if the device goes offline.

Source: How to keep a copy of a standalone vault updated in a folder

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• syncrasy
    syncrasy
    Community Member
    edited September 2019
    Options

Thank you.

I am aware of the warning. When I see the warning I click "Continue anyway" and have never had a problem with my network Folder sync, as long as I remember to disable sync on my laptop before I disconnect from the network. Years ago, I noted on these forums that if I didn't disable sync, 1Password would lock up the computer with an infinite loop of popups (Fix?, click, Fix?, click, crash). Have you added a more graceful escape route? (I haven't experimented to find out.)

• @syncrasy

We have not. It is not our intention for folder sync to be used as a way to sync 1Password data between multiple devices. It simply wasn't designed to do that; sorry. I can be used in conjunction with a 3rd party sync tool, like rsync, but I'd recommend considering a sync option that was designed to do that out-of-the-box:

Sync your 1Password data

Ben

This discussion has been closed.