Import from v6 to v7: many items' Date Modified erroneously altered to today

Options
Pres
Pres
Community Member

Just imported my v6 vault into a trial v7, and when it finished, about 500 of my 1900 items had their Date Modified dates set to today's date, screwing up my favorite sorting order. Items from long long ago are now at the top as though they're important. Can they be re-imported to fix this?

1Password Version: 7.3.2 (70302004)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: iCloud?

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Pres!

Do you still have all your items in the original v6 vault?

• Pres
    Pres
    Community Member
    Options

Hi! Yes, my Primary vault is still on iCloud.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Pres:

Thank you for the confirmation! You could try moving your items in 1Password 7 to the Trash, and try importing the data again (by clicking File next to 1Password 7 in the menu bar > Import... > 1Password 6), and see if the same thing happens :)

• Pres
    Pres
    Community Member
    Options

OK I tried that, and at the end of the sync process it complains that "Could not sync migration receipt / Please check your sync settings and try account migration again." I tried it twice, with the same error.

Now after the import it's still doing some sort of updating on each of the imported items, but like before there are many pages that all have today's date.

I don't see any sync settings anywhere in 1Password 7, though it's there on iOS.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Pres:

Can I please ask you to share a screenshot of this error message?

Now after the import it's still doing some sort of updating on each of the imported items

If you could share an additional screenshot of this updating process, that would also be very useful. Please make sure that it doesn't include any personal information, otherwise please feel free to send it to us via email and we can take a look over there.

• Pres
    Pres
    Community Member
    Options

This is the error message.

The updating process is just the main window, with the list of items being stepped through one by one, one per second or so, as if the icons are being updated or something. Nothing that can really be shown as a screenshot.

• Pres
    Pres
    Community Member
    Options

Oh and I don't know if it's important or not, but when the Import window asks me to choose a file, the file-open dialog is sitting in my Library folder, so I chose the more likely-looking .sqlite file. Not a clue if that's correct or not; the only other option was "B5.sqlite".

(BTW I expected it to "magically" locate the iCloud data from 1Password 6 rather than ask me to choose to locate some file deep in my Library folder that I've never seen before. That might be something to optimize during the Import process—there's no clue as to which file the user is supposed to choose, or even if the the displayed location is the right folder.)

• Ben
    Ben
    edited October 2019
    Options

@Pres,

I'm very sorry for the frustration caused by the original issue, as well as the delayed response here. I'm in the process of following up with our development team to see if there is a way to import data without affecting the date modified metadata.

Ben

ref: archives/CFRUE0ANP/p1569949034263900

• Ben
    Options

@Pres

In speaking with one of my colleagues it seems you may have gone about this "the hard way," and that is what is resulting in the date modified being updated. When you install 1Password 7 for Mac the first time it should automatically import your data from v6. There isn't a manual import process that is necessary. When using that automated process it doesn't appear the date modified is affected. As such I think the best way to get you where you want to be is going to be to undo what you've done here, and then try to get that automated process to trigger. Please try this:

1. Delete all of the items from 1Password.com (to avoid duplicates once we complete the process)
    2. Make sure you have your credentials for your 1Password membership account handy. The Emergency Kit is a good way to do that: Get to know your Emergency Kit
    3. Reset 1Password 7 for Mac back to factory — this will not affect your 1Password 6 data. Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data
    4. Launch 1Password 7 for Mac. Check if it has your data from 1Password 6. If it does not then set up syncing with iCloud but do NOT yet sign into your account. Once v7 has your v6 data, sign into your 1Password membership account: 1Password > Preferences > Accounts.
    5. 1Password should then migrate your data to 1Password.com. If this does not happen automatically you can use the Help > Tools > Migrate Standalone Vaults to Account option.

Let me know how it turns out. :+1:

Ben

• Pres
    Pres
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben, thanks for getting back to me!

OK I selected “Sync using iCloud” and it successfully grabbed my 1Password 6 data, which is much easier.

(Last time I think I selected the 1Password.com option, as I'd just completed making my account in preparation for moving to v7, and thought that’s what it was looking for. I guess I also thought the Sync using iCloud option would sync, i.e. write data, not just import the data, and maybe update something in a way that could make v6 unusable.)

So I've tried this full method you suggested twice now, and each time it works up until I get to the Migrate to Account window.

When I click “Copy Items,” it quickly completes, but then the main window starts doing its updating thing I mentioned earlier, which I've captured this time in a hilariously blurred out movie here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/553d839b4qc57h6/1Password troubleshooting.m4v?dl=0

You can see the items scrolling in the main list as it displays each one. Since the items displayed during this process are the ones with their modification dates set to today, this updating process, whatever it is, seems to be what’s changing them. I end up with the same situation as before. 515 items of 1,900 have there modification date updated to today.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Pres: Sorry for the hassle here. I really thought that would do the trick. That seems really strange to me, but to be sure we don't overlook something obvious, I do have a specific question: If you just sort of set aside the account/migration stuff for now, are you able to view/access all of your data in 1Password 7 currently?

• Pres
    Pres
    Community Member
    Options

Yes it seems to be totally functional, just that one piece of metadata gets messed up when it tries to link with the 1password.com account. It's not really a big problem, just sort of inconvenient because I like to sort by Date Modified to see the most "active" ones at the top.

--

Here's something I just noticed that might be significant: I tried disabling "Show rich icons," and it seems that the items whose metadata has been changed to today, are all the ones that have custom-pasted icons (they retain their icons with "Show rich icons" off). And the items that retain their correct Date Modified date, change to generic/auto-generated icons when "Show rich icons" is disabled.

Is it doing some sort of icon processing upon 1password.com sync, that inadvertently updates the Date Modified info?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited December 2019
    Options

@Pres

I think you may have discovered a bug. :) I'm going to file a report for our development team to investigate. Unfortunately I don't know of a workaround at this point.

Ben

ref: dev/apple/issues#4261

This discussion has been closed.