To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

What do you do if you do not have a Secret Key?

vaboccie
vaboccie
Community Member

I've been using 1Password for many years and have 1Password 6 install. Purchased a new iMac and know I need to move to a membership. I signed up for the trial membership and created an account. When I go to log in it is asking me for a Secret Key. I followed the instructions for locating it, but had no success. Can you please help? I would then like to import my account information from my existing 1Password6 to the new membership account.

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @vaboccie

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble locating your Secret Key. Where did you sign up for the account: in the 1Password app, or in a web browser? If you signed up in the web browser the last mandatory step of the signup process is downloading an Emergency Kit:

Get to know your Emergency Kit

Could you please check your downloads folder for that document?

Ben

• vaboccie
    vaboccie
    Community Member

I signed up through the the app. I checked my download folder and didn't see an Emergency Kit. I'm unable to sign in via the Web because it is asking for my Secret Key. Any suggestions?

• redsleaves
    redsleaves
    Community Member

Same problem. Nothing in my downloads folder. Was already reluctant about going membership, and now I'm wasting my Sunday trying to untangle the Gordian knot of needing a secret key to find my secret key.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@vaboccie:

If you are able to unlock the 1Password app with your Master Password, you can retrieve your Secret Key from there directly.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @redsleaves! Welcome to the forum!

Did you also sign up through the app?

• redsleaves
    redsleaves
    Community Member

No I signed up on the web. Finally gave up and deleted the account and started over. This time I was taken through a bunch of sign up process that didn’t happen the first time through. No idea what i did differently this time. So my problem is resolved, but I think agile bits still has some kind of issue on their hands. Along with support that hasn’t been very agile, if you will. Sure it was Sunday, but I was left in a lurch trying to take care of this so I could hit the workweek with my devices ready to work.

• Thank you for the update @redsleaves, and for the feedback.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.