It is recommended to change the password on a cable modem?

gmj
gmj
Community Member

I want to protect the security of my computer and my 1Password info.
I have changed the passwords on my WiFi router. (both admin and network).

I'm wondering if the cable modem's password is a security issue also.
Do you recommend changing the password on it?

Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: OS X 10.14.6
Sync Type: 1PW account
Referrer: forum-search:change password on a cable modem?

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@gmj - that's really beyond the scope of what we're qualified to advise you on here. Our expertise is 1Password itself, but having said that, I would always recommend changing the default password, especially if it's something like 0000 or 1234, which many devices are set to initially from the factory, so that users can access them on first startup/configuration. The problem is that if you leave it as the default, these are known to many hackers and will be the first thing they check if they have access either internally or externally to your router.

Please pay attention to what else might be affected by changing the router password (all devices will likely have to have their connections reset, and possibly other issues as well), but overall, I'd say it's a good idea. Whatever you do, however, make sure you save your new password in 1Password so you don't forget it -- especially if you use our Strong Password Generator to create a truly random (and very difficult to remember) password such as ;2i*4&nx/]ik&ho6;gY8jEwa+&*4C7U. Stay safe out there! :)

• gmj
    gmj
    Community Member

Thanks, Lars.
    I did save the new passwords in 1Password.
    Wow! That's some password in your example!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2019

@gmj - I only portray a guy who creates really long passwords off the top of his head, here on the forum. In reality, humans (me most definitely included) are TERRIBLE at creating true randomness of any kind. We think we're pretty good at it...but we're just not, the vast majority of the time. In fact, not only can we not create true randomness, there's plenty of evidence to suggest that we're not even that good at recognizing it when we see it.

Humans are good at lots of things, this just plain isn't one of them: we're excellent at pattern-recognition...so good, in fact that we often invent (or believe we've noticed) patterns where none exist (which impedes our ability to recognize true randomness). And that is precisely why you have the Strong Password Generator in 1Password -- it really IS good at randomness, and that's what actually created the password you see in my above reply, and why you should use it for any and all important passwords. :)

• gmj
    gmj
    Community Member

Gotcha!
    Thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.