To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Where is the Secret Key?

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: What do you do if you do not have a Secret Key?.

Comments

• vaboccie
    vaboccie
    Community Member
    Options

I'm able to unlock the 1Password app installed on my computer, but there is no Secret Key as described in the instructions. I'm unable to log into the subscription because I don't have a Secret Key. I logged into my account, but do no see where I can delete the account. Any suggestions what I should do next?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @vaboccie!

Only users with a 1Password Membership (which is paid with a subscription) have a Secret Key. If you never subscribed, you don't have one.

Can you please let us know what you are trying to do exactly so we can give you some suggestions?

• vaboccie
    vaboccie
    Community Member
    Options

I have 1Password version 6 installed on my iMac and have been using it for many years. I got a new iMac and version 6 will not work with the new iOS. I tried upgrading to version 7 and it now has a pop up stating I need to move to a subscription for $2.99/mo. so I clicked on Subscribe today and created an account. When I go to log in it asked me for the Secret Key. That is where I'm stuck. I don't think I can delete the account to start over since I can't log in. This is very frustrating since I've been using 1Password for many many years and now it is the only think preventing me from moving completely to my new iMac.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2019
    Options

@vaboccie: Where did you sign up for the 1Password membership account? You should be able to find your Secret Key in the app/browser where you did that:

Find your Secret Key or Setup Code

Let me know.

• vaboccie
    vaboccie
    Community Member
    Options

I signed up from the pop up that appeared when opening the app with my master password.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@vaboccie:

Can you please go to 1Password Preferences > Accounts tab? If you create your account from the app, you will be able to retrieve your Secret Key from there.

• vaboccie
    vaboccie
    Community Member
    edited October 2019
    Options

I did and there is no account listed. When I went to add one I get the following. Is there a way to just delete my account so I can start over?

• Ben
    Options

Hi @vaboccie

The sign-in address in your screenshot is incorrect, which may be why you're having trouble. It looks like you're entering your email address there, but the sign-in address should be https://my.1password.com/
    The error message may be misleading because 1Password isn't able to communicate with the 1Password.com service with the sign-in address entered the way you have it.

If you correct that and still cannot sign in then you can delete your account by following the prompts at this page:
    https://my.1password.com/support

Ben

P.S. For your privacy I've removed the 2nd screenshot you posted as it contained your email address. As this is a public forum we try to minimize the amount of personal information that is shared here.

• vaboccie
    vaboccie
    Community Member
    Options

Hi.

When following the instructions to delete the account it asked me to log in which I can't without the Secret Key. Is there another way to delete the account so I can start over. I'd really like to get this resolved and sign up for the membership. Also, is there an option to speak to someone in support. I believe it would easier than working through this on a forum.

Thanks,

• Ben
    Options

@vaboccie

If you follow the prompts in the email that is sent to you as a result of using this link: https://my.1password.com/support
    You should see something like this:

If you're not seeing that, we can help you delete your account manually, but this will take longer. If it is possible I'd recommend using the automated system as that will be much quicker. If you need us to help manually delete an account please send us an email from the address registered on the account to support+forum@1password.com with the request. When you email in you'll get an automated reply from BitBot with a support ID. Please post that ID here so that we can follow up.

Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.