where is my password saved? I copied it twice and then I can't find it.

rgevans871
rgevans871
Community Member

I'm on a Macbook Air with version 10.13.6 using 1 Password Version 7.3.2 with Google Chrome Version Version 77.0.3865.90 I reached a site with the 1 Password mini that wanted me to create a new password. I clicked on the Generate password button and clicked on 'Save'. I was able to paste it into the new password and confirm password spaces after which I clicked on submit. The 1 Password box didn't pop up asking me if I wanted to save this password to the site. When I logged out of the site and then tried to log back in, it still had my old password. Where can I find the generated password? It's not on my clipboard. Is there a way to generate a new password and have it replace the old one automatically? Similar to the way it used to work with the pop up box asking if you wanted to save it. That's what I thought would happen when I clicked on the Save button when generating the new password. This generating a new password has often been a problem for me even in the past. So I seldom change a password unless forced to.

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: OSX 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:where is my generated password saved?

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rgevans871!

Any password generated with the password generator is stored inside the 1Password app, under the Passwords category. Can you please look there?

• rgevans871
    rgevans871
    Community Member

Yes, I found it there. Is there a less cumbersome way to have my password updated?

• Hey @rgevans871 👋

Thanks for your reply to Ana, I hope you don't mind me hopping in here whilst she is away. I'm really sorry that you feel this process is cumbersome, there isn't a way at this point in time however I'd love to hear more about how we could improve this particular part of the password generation process. Do you have any ways to improve it in mind?

Thanks,
    Thom

• rgevans871
    rgevans871
    Community Member

Yes, I found it there. Is there a less cumbersome way to have my password updated?

• rgevans871
    rgevans871
    Community Member

My suggestion would be to have it work like it used to when creating a new password which is: when the new password was submitted, a pop up would appear asking if you wanted to update the existing. You could then simply click on the ‘Update Existing’ button and it was done. To me this seems much less cumbersome than having to copy the new password, then edit the login info by pasting in the copied password. Perhaps this still works that way on some sites, but it didn’t in this case.

Ron.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@rgevans871:

That is indeed the default behavior. What website did this happen specifically so we can test it here?

• rgevans871
    rgevans871
    Community Member

The website was: https://ob.dcecu.org/login

Thanks for your continued support. It is an incentive to use 1Password.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2019

@rgevans871:

I confirm that I could reproduce the issue here too, so there is definitely something wrong with this specific website. I will open an internal issue now so our developers can take a look at this :)

ref: xplatform/filling-issues#702

This discussion has been closed.