How to sync items from Dropbox vault (used with 1Password 6) to newly created 1Password 7 account?

Options
danielmatiasferrer
danielmatiasferrer
Community Member

I've been using 1Password for a few years and as such accumulated many passwords in a vault stored in Dropbox. With the new changes in Safari, I upgraded to 1Password 7 and have been using it temporarily without an account in pair with 1Password 6. I've noticed that 1Password 7 seemed to be using an older copy of the vault since it still contained passwords I've used for my last employer (and meanwhile I've deleted) and some recent logins didn't show up in version 7 but did in version 6 (hence why I used both in pair). I assumed this was due to me not setting up an account. However, I did set up an account for 1Password 7 and that didn't seem to solve the issue. I couldn't find a "sync" option in the 1Password preferences.

1Password Version: 6,7
Extension Version: 7.3.2, 6.8.9
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @danielmatiasferrer! Welcome to the forum!

Sync is automatic with a 1Password account, so you will not see the Sync tab anymore in the preferences :) Sync happens in the background and there is nothing for you to configure to get it working (other than adding your 1Password account to the app), so we hide it to avoid confusion.

• danielmatiasferrer
    danielmatiasferrer
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_ana, thanks for the reply!

I thought that might be the case. Is there, however, any chance to import the latest version of the vault in Dropbox so I can stop using 1Password 6 and fully migrate to 7?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@danielmatiasferrer: Oh. If you've been making changes to the Dropbox vault separately, you can reset 1Password 7 (make sure you have your 1Password account credentials), set it up again with your current data in Dropbox from the first screen, sign into the 1Password account in Preferences, migrate your data, and remove the old vault -- and 1Password 6.

• danielmatiasferrer
    danielmatiasferrer
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @brenty, thank you for the reply, this solution worked. The data from the Dropbox vault has been read by 1Password 7. I've then removed sync with that vault and set new passwords to be stored in the 1Password account. I've done the same on my iPhone. Am I correct to think that this will migrate the data which initially was in the Vault to the Account, thus allowing me to stop using Dropbox?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@danielmatiasferrer: That's correct! Once you have all your data in your 1Password account, you just need to make sure that you have only the account setup in 1Password on each device, and they'll all have your data -- and any changes you make to it -- going forward. I'm glad that helped, but let me know if you have any other questions. :)

• danielmatiasferrer
    danielmatiasferrer
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you very much, I shall :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@danielmatiasferrer, on behalf of brenty, you are very welcome!

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.