1Password no longer fills in login screens on MacOS Mojave. I have to copy and paste.

Options
duncancreamer
duncancreamer
Community Member

I have noticed that with the latest MacOS update that I have (10.14.6), that the app (and Safari/Chrome Plugins) no longer fills in my name and password. I have to copy and paste one or the other. Not ideal.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.3.2 (70302003) Mac App Store
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: icloud
Referrer: forum-search:1Password no longer fills in login screens. I have to copy and paste.

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @duncancreamer!

What website is this happening with so we can test it here too?

• duncancreamer
    duncancreamer
    Community Member
    Options

All of them?

• larryawilliams
    larryawilliams
    Community Member
    Options

Same for me. Ever since upgrading Safari which broke the 1Password Safari Extension and installing 1Password7 along with the new 1Password7 Safari Extensions, 1Password is not autofilling any logins.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@duncancreamer, @larryawilliams: Do you have a 1Password membership, or a 1Password for Mac version 7 license?

• pilot211
    pilot211
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the exact same issue. Prior to and now after upgrading to Catalina. Autofill does not work on any site at all.

• pilot211
    pilot211
    Community Member
    Options

Also not prompting to save or update passwords.

• duncancreamer
    duncancreamer
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Two things;
    One is that mine was bought through the Mac Store.At least that's what the about box says:

1Password
    Version 6.8.8 (688001)
    Mac App Store

When I opened 1Password this morning to check though, it had an option to buy - I've already bought it. Well, I had bought it and then that last system update happened.

• JustRed
    JustRed
    Community Member
    edited October 2019
    Options

I'm having this issue as well. After the last Safari update (I'm running Safari v 13.01.1 on Mojave 10.14.6), 1Password won't auto-fill. I have to cut/paste.
    it works on Chrome. Not optimal as I prefer Safari for daily use and keep Chrome for just financial stuff.
    FWIW, I have 1Password stand-alone app 6.8.9.
    I've rebooted. Uninstalled and reinstalled the extention. No joy.
    This happens on both my iMac and my MacBook Pro, so it's not the machine.

• Brian Wyrick
    Brian Wyrick
    Community Member
    Options

I am experiencing this issue as well. I just upgraded to Catalina and am using the desktop app and plugin via a team license. Is this a known bug?

• shuster
    shuster
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same issues. The software won't autofill, and it also won't easily create new logins.

Safari Version 13.0.2
    MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    1Password Version 6.8.8 (688001)

Telling us we need to buy version 7 to make this work is not an acceptable solution, in my opinion.

• vahan
    vahan
    Community Member
    Options

This has been happening for me for quite some time.

I use mostly Chrome. While autofilling, it seems to fail and show the general pop-up, as if I clicked 1Password icon in the top status bar.

It does work sometimes. Sometimes it works on the 2nd or 3rd try. But it's become so annoying that I went out and found this post.

Versions:
    MacOS Mojave & now Catalina
    2 latest 1Password releases
    Several latest Chrome releases.

• vahan
    vahan
    Community Member
    Options

Per this thread, issue was replicated and a fix is in the works.

Thank You 1Password!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@vahan - glad to hear the upcoming solution will address the problem you're having. However, not everyone in this thread is experiencing the same issue. @shuster (welcome to the forum!), if you have upgraded to Safari 13.x, then 1Password 6 for Mac simply will not fill or save your data, as per this blog post and this support issue. Apple changed the format they use/allow for Safari extensions beginning with version 12, which was first released in September of 2018. Prior to that, the format was .safariextz, which we'd all grown accustomed to using for years. This format is what 1Password 6 for Mac - which was current at the time - was based on in terms of Safari extension. But version 6 of 1Password was retired to legacy status when 1Password 7 for Mac was introduced in May of 2018, a full four months before Safari 12 debuted. We knew the new format, Safari App Extensions, were on the horizon, and a great deal of work went into making 1Password 7 for Mac ready for them. But as is often the case with such things, we didn't re-open the code of legacy version 6 (or 5, or 4 or 3) and re-write it to include support for Safari App Extensions.

Long story short, if you've upgraded to Safari 13, Apple provides no easy way to downgrade back to Safari 12 or earlier, and 1Password 6 and earlier versions will not be re-written to include Safari App Extension support. Your choices are:

1. Upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac -- this is our recommendation because it's always our recommendation as a security company for users to stay as current with their versions of all critical security components of their setup as possible, and that includes not only your macOS and browser(s) but also 1Password.
    2. Switch to another browser such as Chrome, Firefox or one of the Chrome derivatives such as Brave or Vivaldi or Opera, which still use external 1Password extensions which can be separately downloaded/installed from our downloads page.
    3. Continue using your current setup, but copy/paste username and password information from 1Password into Login (and other) pages. Again, we can't recommend this, as copying your data to the system clipboard in this way potentially exposes it to other processes such as browser and OS extensions which may store these values to disk.

Let us know if you have any questions.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @pilot211! What version of 1Password for Mac do you have installed?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JustRed - please see my comments above to @shuster and let me know if you have any questions.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Brian Wyrick - sorry for the trouble. What version of 1Password for Mac do you have installed?

• Brian Wyrick
    Brian Wyrick
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars it appears to be working fine now on two different machines. I'm using the fully updated 7. May have been Chrome updating or something like that. I didn't think to check that when I originally posted, despite always asking my users to do so :)

• Brian Wyrick
    Brian Wyrick
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars Thank you for checking in on this - I forgot to come back and update.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the update @Brian Wyrick! And on behalf of Lars, you are welcome :)

Chrome updating could temporarily be causing this, so I am glad that everything is working fine again now.

• donnad
    donnad
    Community Member
    Options

I continue to have the problem of 1Password not auto-filling usernames and passwords (all websites) in Safari (most recent updates of Safari (13.02) and Mojave (10.14.6).

• Ben
    Ben
    edited December 2019
    Options

Hi @donnad

We're aware of a bug that we're working hard to fix. The bug is that sometimes mini doesn't fill, but instead re-opens with the item list. Usually attempting to fill the same login an additional time or two causes filling to work. This happens more often for some than others. We hope to have that fixed soon.

Thanks.

Ben

ref: dev/apple/issues#4218

• hkjr
    hkjr
    Community Member
    Options

Any update on fixing this bug? I am experiencing this problem regularly in Chrome to the extent I stopped using Chrome. I eagerly await the fix so I can use Chrome again.

"The bug is that sometimes mini doesn't fill, but instead re-opens with the item list."

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @hjkr! In fact, we do have a solution for you. The updated extension for Chrome that addresses this issue was published as a beta recently. It was submitted also as the next stable version, but that approval process is still pending. If you'd like to grab the version with the fix in it and don't mind installing a beta of the 1Password extension, you can get it at this unlisted link. Just make sure you disable the stable version of 1Password extension before enabling this one, or you'll have conflicts. Let us know how that goes for you!

This discussion has been closed.