Is there a way to configure private login and give to someone else?

Options

Hi, I wanted to set up a process where some configurations are "initialized" to some members of my team with their "private login" credentials created on their behalf by the devops team and then "given" to them, like the initial passwords and "config files".

So, is there a way for an admin pre-configure a "private login" credential and then give it to someone else!?

Thanks!
Rodrigo Goncalves

1Password Version: 7.3.712
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:configure private login and give to someone else

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rgejungle: 1Password Business has the "send a copy" feature in beta, which lets you select a member of your 1Password Business membership plan to (one way) place a copy of an item in their Private vault:

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• rgejungle
    rgejungle
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty, yes ... I just found that in the web version (not in my local version).
    I tried that, let's see ... "Send a Copy" is a good alternative, but would be better if we could "delegate" it.
    But all good, I'm testing this feature with DevOps team!

Thanks a lot for the quick response!!
    Rodrigo Goncalves

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rgejungle: Glad that's helpful! Can you tell me what you mean by "delegate it" though? Even if what you have in mind isn't possible today, it really helps to get a sense of people's workflows to keep in mind as we continue to iterate. :)

• rgejungle
    rgejungle
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @brenty , yes of course!
    Imagine that there are different teams in the company and in some situations you need "delegate its management to someone else". Most of the cases you will create a "meaningful vault" and then aggregate the information there which can be manage by "more than one team/person" ... we usually call that as "shared-vault".

But there are use cases that you need to configure initial settings, like initial passwords, which are usually private, and then "give or delegate" to someone else. Our current process, which I don't like, we use "Keybase tool" in order to have our devops team share some of the passwords with people in the team. I don't like this process, I don't like to have the password written anywhere, we should be able to use 1Password to "give" these credentials to people properly, instead of "Keybase" or even email.

I believe that there are some use case scenarios that can be improved in 1Password, but I really like it! Good job!

Thanks!
    Rodrigo Goncalves

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rgejungle: Ah I see what you mean. Using a separate tool does sound a bit cumbersome. But unless I'm misunderstanding you, the 1Password Business beta "Send a Copy" feature would solve that for you: it allows you to select a team member to send it to, and saves it to their Private vault. You should probably then delete your copy to avoid confusion, and the person you sent it to should change the password for themselves. But that's a secure way to "delegate" or "onboard" someone I think. :)

• rgejungle
    rgejungle
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty , yes, it should work well for me, I'm already testing that with my devops team.
    I don't like to use a separate tool for that and, yet, that tool "shows the password in my screen" even though it encrypts the transference. Still not good enough for me, as 1Password is!
    Thanks! :+1:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Great! I hope it helps. Be sure to let us know if you have any feedback on it. And thanks for the kind words! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.