Suggestion: WiFi QR code in Wireless Router item

Options
theoriginalbit
theoriginalbit
Community Member

It would be really nice to see a QR code generated when a 'Wireless Router' item has the 'network name', 'wireless security', and 'wireless network password' fields populated.

WiFi QR codes are supported by both iOS and Android so having this option could allow for quick/easy entry of secure passwords on devices that your 1Password isn't installed (i.e. friends or family)

1Password Version: 7.3.2 (70302003)
Extension Version: 7.3.2
OS Version: macOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: my.1password.com

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@theoriginalbit - thanks for the suggestion! I'll pass it along to the appropriate folks internally. Yours isn't the first request we've had for this, but it's a pretty rare feature request, so I can't say when you might see such a thing, but I definitely appreciate you bringing it up with us. :)

• theoriginalbit
    theoriginalbit
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Lars
    It doesn’t surprise me it’s a rare feature, I suspect most people don’t even know that it’s something that can be done, but I’ve found it can make the world of difference when you have a large amount of devices to add, which was the main motivation behind this; having a code for friends and family at home is just an added bonus.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you again for your thoughts about this, I certainly see how this could be useful to you :)

• wavesound
    wavesound
    Community Member
    Options

Hey 1Password Developers,

Is there any chance we can get 1Password to generate QR codes for Wi-Fi like this page does right in 1Password?

https://qifi.org/

This has pretty broad mobile OS support now and it would made connecting new devices a lot easier.

Right now, I'm generating them manually and adding them to 1Password as attachments to my Wi-Fi items as "Related Items."

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• wavesound
    wavesound
    Community Member
    edited November 2019
    Options

+1 on this. I'm sorry for posting a duplicate thread. I just found this after searching a second time with slightly different search terms.

(Original post: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/108851/wi-fi-qr-codes)

• Ben
    Options

No worries; I've merged them. Thanks for the feedback. :)

Ben

• natevancouver
    natevancouver
    Community Member
    Options

I’d love to see this feature too! In today’s Mac App Store headlines, an app was promoted that can generate WiFi QR codes:

https://apps.apple.com/us/story/id1470441129

This would be so much better if it was built-in to 1Password. Those long, complex passwords are awesome, but WiFi is one area where it can be a hassle, especially when friends need to join our network.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@natevancouver - thanks for adding your voice to this issue. It's definitely a time-saving convenience. I suspect it's something we'll be taking a closer look at in the future.

• ashokak
    ashokak
    Community Member
    Options

I'm currently storing a generated PNG as a 'linked document', but accessing that is more cumbersome, and it means I'm storing each wifi password twice, so they'll eventually get out of sync.

• Ben
    Options

That's a fair point, @ashokak. Thanks for taking the time to share your perspective on this situation.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.