I want to add my son to our family account but he already has his own family account

erikhusby
erikhusby
Community Member

I've a family account for my wife and myself. We now want to add our two adult sons to the family account so that we can share important information with them. One son already has his own family account for his wife and himself. I've invited him to join my account. How should he proceed?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@erikhusby: Good question! It's not one I can really answer for you folks, as it's a pretty personal (or, familial?) decision, but I can definitely offer some perspective and guidance that can help you figure out what makes the most sense for your family. :)

You can invite your sons or any other "regular" family members through your account on 1Password.com in your browser. They'll each have their own Private vault within their account as part of your family membership, as well as access to the Shared vault for everyone. This will be completely separate from an account they have through their own family membership, and they will probably want to use their own account for their data still. But, if nothing else, that allows them to have access to stuff you share with them. And, if you choose, you can make them Organizers within your family, which allows them to help manage vaults, and also perform recovery for others -- including you, if you get locked out of your account.

Another option is, in contrast to "regular" family members, inviting guests. Maybe not what you need in this case, but many people find that useful for inviting family members who need limited access, or help managing their data, such as non-adult children (wow, that sounds weird, but you know what I mean), since guests have access to only a single vault you explicitly share with them.

Personally, I've got my own 1Password Families membership for me and my loved ones, but then also another account where my parents invited me to theirs, to share a few things, as an Organizer, so that I can help them recover if needed.

Anyway, let me know what you think, and if you have any followup questions. :)

• erikhusby
    erikhusby
    Community Member

Yes, your advice sounds perfect for what I want to accomplish. I want my sons to have access to the information when either my wife and myself are incapacitated for some reason. Not for daily use.

• Gotcha. Glad to hear brenty was able to help. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• ccgreen
    ccgreen
    Community Member

I have a question around this. I cannot find the "Invitations" on the sidebar when logging into 1password in the browser. Also, if I have a family account and want my husband to be part of that, is this done by invite or another way. We are looking to share all of our account information with each other. I can't find clear information about this. A link and some information would be greatly appreciated.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ccgreen:

I have a question around this. I cannot find the "Invitations" on the sidebar when logging into 1password in the browser.

You could be missing Admin permissions on the account. Alternatively, this could happen if you have an Individual subscription paid through the App Store: in this case, you won't be able to automatically convert your account, but you will need to manually detach the subscription from your account.

Also, if I have a family account and want my husband to be part of that, is this done by invite or another way.

Yes, it is done by invite.

This discussion has been closed.