To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Lost my Secret Key after installing 1Password on new iPhone

sashawonder
sashawonder
Community Member
edited October 2019 in Memberships

Good afternoon. I have been using 1Password for a very long time. I use it only on the phone. The day before yesterday I bought a new phone, created a backup and installed it on a new phone. All programs were transferred, including 1Password. I deleted the data from the old phone. But when I went into the 1 Password application on the new phone, I realized that my Secret Key was stored inside the application and in the mail, which I no longer have access to, because the password for it is also stored in 1Password.
Yesterday I wrote to you in the mail, but you are not responding. I urgently need to access my account, because tomorrow I will fly on vacation and I need data. I hope for your quick reply.

My account name is [removed; this is a public forum]

Thank you,

Alexander

1Password Version: 7.4.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 13.1.2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited October 2019

Hi @sashawonder,

I see my colleague Mark-Shane replied to your email inquiry 20 hours ago. If you haven't received his email please let me know and I'll re-send it. Please make sure you've added support@1password.com to your address book to help ensure delivery of our emails to your inbox.

Ben

ref: JER-21891-671

• sashawonder
    sashawonder
    Community Member

Hello, Ben! Can you please resend a message of your colleague?

• @sashawonder

I've just emailed you using the email address you have on file here at the forum. Please reply to my email to confirm you've received it. Thanks!

Ben

• gm6720
    gm6720
    Community Member

I have the same issue- I reinstalled on my iPhone and I cant login to the iPhone account, it’s asking for this key. I can log in on the iPad but I can’t find the key in that version. Help?!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@gm6720:

After you have unlocked 1Password on your iPad, you can retrieve your Secret Key under Settings > 1Password Accounts > Your account > Reveal Secret Key

• gm6720
    gm6720
    Community Member

That’s not working. I can log into 1password on the iPad but when I get to that screen, there’s no account listed. When I try to add it on that screen, I’m again being prompted for a secret key. When I try and log into the website, I also need the secret key. Need help still

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@gm6720:

Ah I see, so you never added your account to the 1Password app. You won't be able to retrieve the Secret Key from there in this case. You will need to use your Emergency Kit for it, or access it from any other 1Password app where you have logged in to your 1Password account at least once before.

Also notice, just to make sure we are not missing anything, that you will only have a Secret Key if you have a subscription to 1Password. If you are using 1Password with a standalone license, it is normal that you don't have a Secret Key.

• gm6720
    gm6720
    Community Member

I think I have a stand alone one, bought it several years ago. So how do I install the app on the phone without the key?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@gm6720:

You can install the app from the App Store even without a Secret Key. Once you have installed it, the first time you launch it you don't have to choose the 1Password.com option since you don't have an account, and choose instead the location where your data is stored (Dropbox, iCloud etc).

• gm6720
    gm6720
    Community Member

That finally worked!!! I choose the iCloud option and it’s working. Thanks!!!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.