Suggestion: offer "edit" button when creating new logins

Some sites prompt me to create a username and a password on two separate web pages. Thus, I enter my email or username on one page, click submit, and it takes me to a page to create a password. In these cases, 1PasswordX generates a password and saves it with a blank username. In order to add the username, I have to open my vault, find the entry, and edit it. It would be nice if there was an "edit" button right there on the save dialog in the first place. It would be even nicer if it offered to autopopulate the username field with my most common usernames (including my email address).

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.16.2
OS Version: OSX 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @TheCat! What I'd do in that situation is save a Login on the first page, then update the Login I just saved on the second page. If you have an example website URL for me, I can explain exactly what I mean. I just can't seem to think of a multi-page registration form off the top of my head at the moment.

I agree that it'd be nice to have the ability to edit the item before pressing the save button, though. I'll pass that feedback along to the rest of my team. :)

ref: x/b5x#708

• TheCat
    TheCat
    Community Member

Hi. I ran across a site that has this feature - your site! When I tried to post a comment on this forum, I was told by the site that I need to reset my password. I entered my email address and got an email from you to reset my password. I entered the new password on your form, and it created a new entry for agilebits with a blank username.

Here's the page you sent me to to reset my password - https://discussions.agilebits.com/entry/passwordreset/###### (replace ###### with a six digit code you generated).

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2020

@TheCat – I'm glad you brought this thread back up! After reading your response, I'm curious why you wouldn't have chosen the Update Saved Login option instead of creating a brand new one. I guess that would be me assuming that you already had an existing Login item saved for the 1Password support forum, though.

Here's the screen I see when I fill out the password change form and click the Save in 1Password option below the new password field (granted, it's when I'm already signed in to the support forum).

In this case, the save Login modal defaulted to Update Saved Login. I'm not sure that would be the case when you're resetting your password without being signed in first. That said, you can always click the dropdown and select Update Saved Login (see below).

I hope that helps get you the desired outcome of updating an existing Login item rather than create a new Login without the username. In any case, your feedback has been passed along in regards to the ability to edit an item before saving. I'm just not sure it would have helped in this case since you would have been left with two different 1Password support forum Login items (again, assuming you already had one saved from when you created your account).

• TheCat
    TheCat
    Community Member

It defaulted to "save new login" and it was not at all obvious to me that "save new login" was part of a drop down menu. I didn't realize you could change that part of the form. The visual cue that you can change that text to something else - i.e. the double arrow to the right - is non-standard. I would have recognized it as a drop down menu if it had a border, as the "saved logins" and "save in" dialogs do.

• TheCat
    TheCat
    Community Member

Which raises the question - you have two tools on that page that do the same thing - let you choose from a list. Why do they have different graphic appearances? They do exactly the same thing, so why does one have a border and the other not?

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@TheCat – That's good feedback! I'll pass your thoughts along. Thanks again for sharing things from your perspective. It's really great to hear. :)

ref: dev/core/core#771

• TheCat
    TheCat
    Community Member

I found another example of a site that sets the username and password separately. I just created an account on Consumer Reports https://www.consumerreports.org/

The username was created on the payment form. After I paid, CR sent me an email, which lead to this screen:

When I set the password, 1Password created an entry with no username.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know, @TheCat. Is the website URL for the password page different than the one for the username/payment page, or is this a situation where 1Password defaulted to "Save New Login" instead up "Update Saved Login"? If you could check out the URLs for me, that would be helpful. It doesn't look like I'll be able to create a test account without paying for the service.

• TheCat
    TheCat
    Community Member

Both the "create account / pay for account" and the "set password" page are on consumerreports.com.

I did not have any logins for consumerreports.com, so there was no opportunity to update a saved login. The only choice was to save a new login, which only had two fields: password and URL.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@TheCat – I see what you're saying. That's an instance where an Edit button would seriously come in handy. I appreciate you sharing your experience with me!

• TheCat
    TheCat
    Community Member

Found another site that results in a saved password with no username.

https://subscribe.newyorker.com/

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@TheCat:

Can you point us to where the username/password form is on the page you linked? When I visit that website, I only see the form to enter payment and shipping information, but no login.

• TheCat
    TheCat
    Community Member

I got there by clicking the Subscribe button on the top right of this page.

https://www.newyorker.com/

That leads here:

https://subscribe.newyorker.com/subscribe/splits/newyorker/NYR_FAILSAFE?source=AMS_NYR_GLOBAL_NAVBAR_FAILSAFE_0

and after you fill out that form, it records your email address (which is the username) and takes you to a separate page to create your password.

1Password only saves the password and URL at that point.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Got it, thank you for the clarification @TheCat :+1:

• TheCat
    TheCat
    Community Member

Found another site that creates the username on one page and the password on another, and 1Password only saves the password, leaving the username blank.

https://store.joebiden.com/

Buy something, and following checkout it lets you set a password.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @TheCat ,

I added an item to my cart, proceeded to checkout, and it asked for my email first (to checkout as a guest). When I input my email, 1Password does show up and suggests saving it. I couldn't get to the password field afterwards without entering a real credit card and confirming an order though, but from what you described this is the step where you weren't able to save your username. Is that correct?

• TheCat
    TheCat
    Community Member

I didn't have that experience, using Firefox with 1Password X. I was only prompted to save at the password setting step.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@TheCat:

I confirm what ag_yaron experiences: the Save button appears for me too in the email field:

Can you let us know what steps to follow to reach the username form that does not work for you?

• TheCat
    TheCat
    Community Member

Here is another site with this problem: https://redfin.com/

When you try to create a new account, it asks for your email address. 1password does not prompt to save anything. They then let you into a basic account and send you an email. When you click the link in the email, you are prompted to set a password, which 1password then saves as a login with a blank username.

• TheCat
    TheCat
    Community Member

And, if you want to be really amused, here's another site that does the same thing.

https://1password.community/

I did not have a saved password for this site. When I tried to post a comment, i got a dialog asking me to log in. I clicked "forgot password." I was emailed a password reset link. When I used it to set a password, 1password saved it - with no username!!!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @TheCat ,

When I test redfin.com, I do get a suggestion to save the email field:

The only difference I can think of is that I'm using the beta version of 1Password in the browser and you might be using the stable version, but I don't think that's the issue here.

Regardless, if you need to save something on a page and you don't see the inline menu showing up, you can right click the 1Password icon on the top right corner of your browser and select "Save Login". That will trigger the save prompt and allow you to save whatever is on the page.

As for the example with our website - 1Password saves whatever it can find on the page. It cannot invent fields that aren't there, so when you're on a change password form, and the only fields there are "new password" and "confirm new password", then 1Password will only be able to record the password from the page, as there is no useranme there whatsoever.

You can either save a proper login on the main login page of the website, or you can select the login entry of that website in your 1Password and select "Edit", then put in the username manually. However, such scenarios should not be so common (I hope :) ).

This discussion has been closed.