Can't recovery account as I can't access email

arlenem
arlenem
Community Member

My son forgot his master password. According to the docs, I can request an Account Recovery, but he can't access his email account because he set a strong password on it, saved it in 1Password, which he can't access it with out the master password. As the family organizer, can the recovery email be sent to me? This seems like a bit of a catch-22.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @arlenem! Welcome to the forum!

Your son could go through the password recovery procedure for his email account. In this case, Google will use his recovery email address or another security verification method to allow him to change his password and access his email account again.

Once he has access to his email, you can then start the recovery procedure.

• ypresto
    ypresto
    Community Member

Old thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/76168/recovery-process-when-email-address-is-unavailable

Is there any other solutions like phone verification? I'm migrating from LastPass and worrying about exactly this case.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ypresto:

1Password requires access to the email during recovery, so it is fundamental that you are able to access your email address at any time. In case something like this happens, you should restore access directly through your email provider (even via phone, if they offer this capability).

Also note that in this case 2 things happened:

1. He forgot the Master Password
    2. He lost access to his email

If you are able to login to your 1Password account, you can change your email there to avoid this problem.

This discussion has been closed.