Feature request: Show what fields will be updated when updating site information

This will prevent unintentionally overwriting your password or other fields in the event that 1password incorrectly recognizes what field you're updating, entering. This has happened to me multiple times.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Show update

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jbox! Thanks for getting in touch. I'd like to make sure I understand the feature request before passing it along to our developers. Are you wanting 1Password to show you which fields would to be filled if you clicked the Autofill button? I'm curious how that would look. Right now, we alter the color of the fields that are filled, but I'm not sure how we'd do that prior to you clicking Autofill. Let me know what your thoughts are. :)

• jbox
    jbox
    Community Member

Hi @kaitlyn. I apologize for the ambiguity and lack of detail.

I was thinking that 1Password could explicitly list what fields will be updated when it prompts the user if they'd like to update the fields. For example, in this screenshot, I've changed only my Stack Overflow password (not my username, as the dialog suggests). Perhaps in this view, the dialog could be changed to say something like:

Would you like to update the following fields for this site?
        * password

If I were to cavil, I would suggest removing the "in 1Password" part from the original message, since it's redundant, but I'm sure the 1Password team has its own style guide.
    I should mention that custom field names should be taken into account if they're ever auto-filled by 1Password.
    I'm not suggesting any change in autofill behavior; this would change the content of the 1Password "Save Login" dialogue.

This change would prevent the user from accepting a form value that 1Password has incorrectly identified. For example, if I'm updating my username for a website, but I use my email address to log in, I wouldn't want 1Password incorrectly identifying my site username as the "username" I use to log in and replacing my email address. In this case, I should know that 1Password's behavior (suggesting a field change) is erroneous because I only changed my username, not any of my login info tracked by 1Password. In cases where a user changes multiple forms on a page, however, it could be impossible to tell which value will be stored in which field. This could be catastrophic in the event a user accidentally overwrites their random password.

Thank you for your patience and the quick response!

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@jbox – I see what you're saying. Just a heads up this is the 1Password X section of our forum. Based on your screenshot, I don't think you're using 1Password X. That makes sense as to why we weren't understanding each other the first time, so I really appreciate you clarifying that for me.

I do think a feature along these lines would be really nice. It's on our radar, and I'd personally be grateful if the fields could be edited directly within in the save Login dialog. We can use your username/email address example again. Sometimes the username is considered an email address, sometimes it's not, and sometimes they can be used interchangeably. It really depends on the website, so we do have to build 1Password in a broad sense since each site is coded differently.

I also want to make sure you know that any update you make to an item can be easily reverted with a 1Password account. There's an option to view an item's history on the 1Password web app that allows you to restore a previous version of the item if you wish. In the 1Password for Mac app, you also have "password history" inside every item that allows you to revert a password change. We definitely keep that in mind, because you're right in that it could be catastrophic if you overwrite a random password, but we've got features in place to make that a great experience rather than a catastrophic one.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts in detail. We'll keep it in mind when building future versions of 1Password. Your feedback is very important to us. ❤️

This discussion has been closed.