Markdown Bug: Straight Quote at End of Line Renders Without Line Break

Options
machale
machale
Community Member

I sometimes keep code snippets in Pre-formatted Text (triple back tick) in a 1Password notes field. In macOS and Linux it's common to have alias statements that end with a straight quote. These seem to break the triple-back-tick formatting.

If I enter the following in a notes field (note the trailing straight single quote on the second line):

```
a b c d e f
g h i j k l'
m n o p q r
s t u v w x
```

It renders with a missing line break:

a b c d e f
g h i j k l'm n o p q r
s t u v w x

A trailing straight double quote does the same thing. Adding a space after the trailing quote fixes the rendering, but the trailing space is retained and comes along for the ride if you try to copy/paste the note into, say, a text editor.

Note: It is only straight single or double quotes that cause this. Smart quotes do not cause this problem (though they cause lots of other problems when working with code snippets). On a Mac, if you try to hand-enter the trailing quote, it may automatically be converted to a smart quote. If that happens, then to get a true straight quote, enter the quote, wait a second, then Cmd-Z to undo the smart quote auto-conversion.
Note 2: I was required to enter a "Category" for this posting. I chose Mac, but I have not yet tested this on other platforms I use (Windows, iOS, Chromebook). It doesn't feel like this would be a platform-specific bug, but I don't know that for sure.

1Password Version: 7.3.2 (70302004)
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: macOS Mojave 10.14.6 (18G103)
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:markdown

Comments

• machale
    machale
    Community Member
    Options

(Not sure why some of my original post turned green, but it otherwise looks OK.)

• machale
    machale
    Community Member
    Options

Well, it's been a week since I posted the above, and no response. Have I posted it in the right place?

If there is agreement that what I've described is a legitimate bug, that's fine and I don't expect a we'll-fix-that-right-away response. It's certainly not a critical bug and the workaround is adequate, even if imperfect.

Just an ACK that someone has seen it and added it to internal bug tracking would be cool.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2019
    Options

Hi @machale!

Thank you for reporting this! It looks like your post slipped through the cracks, so thank you for reminding us of this :)

I have managed to replicate this in a secure note here. I don't know what the correct behavior would be, so I have asked our developers to take a look at this by opening an internal issue. I will send you an update once I have heard back after they investigate this.

ref: apple/issues#3209

• machale
    machale
    Community Member
    Options

Interesting that this also happens in a secure note. I only tried it in a notes field of a login item. But this makes sense if your code uses the same markdown library in both places.

Thanks for opening an issue for this. Have a good weekend.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you, have a nice weekend too! :)

• Aaron Gibralter
    Aaron Gibralter
    Community Member
    Options

Is this still open? I find that markdown formatting is really wonky—I guess it's mostly related to newlines being ignored.

Also, syntax highlighting (like, say, GitHub: https://github.github.com/gfm/) would be awesome!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yes, this is still open @Aaron Gibralter.

This discussion has been closed.