1PasswordX downloading of documents fails under Firefox, when download location prompting is enabled

As new user of 1Password for Families, I am just starting to use all the 1Password functionality which I have been used to from my previous password manager (Lastpass) and I keep running into problems (this is problem #2, problem #3 is already known and I will tackle it after solving problem #2):

Using 1PasswordX extension on Windows10, I am unable to download documents under Firefox, when the Firefox option "Always ask you where to save files" is selected (which was the default in my installation). The downloading works for Chrome (but I do not use Chrome). The extension reports a successful downloiad, but the browser doesn't and no file is created.

I have a similar problem with the 1PasswordX entension on Linux (Ubuntu 18.04). However, under Ubuntu 18.04 it does not matter whether the Firefox preferences are set to "Always ask you where to save files" or "Save files to ..."; the download always fails.
Using Chrome under Ubuntu 18.04, the downloading of document work ok (independently of the download location/asking settings). This problem under Linux is obviously more serious as I have not found a work-around as in the case of Firefox/W10/1PasswordX. But since there is no forum group for Linux, this goes here as the problems might be related.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.16.2
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey there @mjeltsch! I appreciate you getting this on our radar. Just so I can make sure we're seeing the same thing, are you getting a Failed – blob resource error in Firefox? I'm seeing that with some documents, although not all. I'll pass the report along to our developers so they can look into it.

In the meantime, I'm wondering if you're able to download your items from the 1Password web app. I had success going that route, so I'm hoping it'll help you out for now. To do that, sign in at https://my.1password.com and locate the item you'd like to download. When the item is selected, you should see a download button. Let me know how it goes.

ref: x/b5x#1067

• mjeltsch
    mjeltsch
    Community Member

Thanks,
    yes, downloading via the web site does work. I also noticed that not all of my Ubuntu 18.04 Firefox installs behave the same. Downloading with Firefox on my workplace desktop works if it is set to automatically save the downloads (it fails only when its set to ask for a download location). However, on my home laptop, Firefox downloads always fail respectively of the settings how the downloads are saved.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@mjeltsch – Interesting! Is there anything in particular that's different about those two Firefox installs?

I've sent your report off to our developers, so we'll let you know if there's any more information we need. Again, thanks for bringing this to our attention. :)

• mjeltsch
    mjeltsch
    Community Member

Probably many things are different; both are years-old installs on heavily used machines... Unfortunately, I have no time to investigate. if I get around doing it, I will try a Firefox refresh on the one machine that completely fails to download.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Firefox profiles often become corrupt for some reason, and it's easy to create a new one, so I'd try that first.

This discussion has been closed.