Suggestion: Choose default password generation scheme

I prefer to use memorable phrases over random characters, but 1PasswordX only ever offers to generate a random string and provides no option to choose a different method during form fill. I know you can do it from the + icon in the extension, but honestly that's a lot of extra work and then your signup doesn't get saved.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.16.2
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hi there @tc1p! The inline suggested password will stick to its guns with a random generated password. The suggested password recipe isn't customizable, but I'll pass your feedback along so we can keep it in mind when building future versions. You're right in that you can use the full-featured password generator within the 1Password X pop-up. I'm not sure what you mean when you say that your signup doesn't get saved. You should be able to save the same way you would using the suggested password by clicking the Autofill button in the pop-up. Can you give the following steps a try for me?

1. Visit any registration form – I'll use the registration form on the 1Password forum website as an example.
    2. Once you get to the password field, click the 1Password button in your browser toolbar to open the pop-up.
    3. Press Command-G or Ctrl + G to open the password generator.
    4. With a memorable password selected, click Autofill

A save Login modal will appear asking which vault you'd like the item saved inside. The saved Login will contain the details you've entered on the registration form, including the generated password. If you're seeing any different behavior, please do let me know!

ref: x/b5x#547

• GabrielD
    GabrielD
    Community Member

Hi!

I almost only use long, memorable password and I'd like an option so set this as default; instead of having to load the 1PasswordX panel and do a few clicks and copy/paste.

The ability to change the password recipe, for inline and quick signup would be a feature appreciated by many users I think :)

Thanks!

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the valuable feedback, @GabrielD! We really appreciate it. ❤️

ref: dev/core/core#352

• opuntia2
    opuntia2
    Community Member

+1 for this feature suggestion. I'm going thru my watchtower "Reused Passwords" to clean things up and it would be helpful if the inline suggested password defaulted to the last setting in the full-featured password generator. It makes sense (to me) that if you set it up in the full-featured one then that's what you would like all the time.

Another feature is that if the inline suggester also had the refresh button (there are certain symbols I just don't like). Thanks!!

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hello @opuntia2! Thanks for sharing your opinion with us. I partially agree with you, but I'd be concerned for folks who dial down the password settings to comply with a website that has strict requirements (i.e. no symbols, maximum length, etc.) and forget to crank them back up. They could potentially generate weak passwords for a whole bunch of sites before realizing it. Either way, it's on our radar and something we're constantly thinking about.

I do like the idea of your second request about a refresh button! For now, you can click outside of the field and click back in to get a regenerated suggested password. Again, thank you for sharing. :)

• buyanet
    buyanet
    Community Member

I will have to add that I wholeheartedly support a feature where the suggested password is customizable in length and characters. Some passwords cannot contain symbols, for instance, so for it to easily pop up somehow would be awesome!

• opuntia2
    opuntia2
    Community Member

@kaitlyn I get what you're saying about being concerned about people that dial down the password, however, the password generator on 1P X allows for the dialing down of the random password and it defaults to that setting once it's been set.

A future feature for both the 1P X password generator and the inline generator would be to note the password strength (weak, poor, excellent...) as a reminder to make it stronger.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

I appreciate the feedback, @buyanet and @opuntia2! I'll pass it along to our developers. :)

This discussion has been closed.