Synching Primary Vault Question

Options
romad
romad
Community Member

In the Preferences for 1Password 7, the Sync preference gives me the option to also sync with iCloud, Dropbox, and Folder. I pretty much understand the first two, but why might I also want to sync to a folder on my Mac?

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 7.4.2
OS Version: Mac OS 10.13.6
Sync Type: WiFi

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@romad:

It's an advanced technical option which is useful if you want to use your own personal sync method instead of using one of the available ones :)

• romad
    romad
    Community Member
    Options

Ah, OK. So when I install 1PWd7 on my MacBook Pro running Mojave, can I have it sync with my iMac running High Sierra via my local WiFi?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@romad:

Yes, but you would use the WLAN server option for that ;)

• romad
    romad
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana: Yes, but you would use the WLAN server option for that

That is what I currently use for my iDevices so syncing the MBP should be similar then.

• romad
    romad
    Community Member
    Options

Just ran into multiple errors. After I installed 1Pwd7 on my MacBook Pro and launched it, this error message pops up:

Clicking OK just results in another copy of the message popping up. The referenced server is my iMac so I connected my MBP to the iMac via WiFi but it didn't make any difference. I have no idea what it means by "share name".

How do I purge everything iPassword related from the MacBook Pro? I know there is the application and the opvault, but is there anything else? I figure since this just started with the launch of 1Password 7, removing it and all associated files might clear whatever is causing it.

• Ben
    Options

My apologies for any confusion: syncing multiple Macs via WLAN is not supported. The WLAN server can sync one Mac to one or more mobile devices (iOS/Android). The purpose of folder sync is to create an OPVault file on your Mac, which you can then do with as you wish, but as it says in the folder sync guide:

Only sync to a folder on a local or removable drive, like an external hard drive or USB flash drive. Syncing to a folder on a network volume, like a Time Capsule or other NAS, may cause problems if the device goes offline.

It isn't intended for (and will not work for) syncing multiple Macs directly.

How do I purge everything iPassword related from the MacBook Pro?

Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password Data will do the trick. :+1:

Ben

• romad
    romad
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben Thank you for the clarification.

It has become much harder to decide what to do now that I've added the MBP. I can't use Dropbox because they have imposed a 3 device limitation; before I had my iMac, MacBook Air, 2 iPhones, and 2 iPads using it since 2012. The minimum number of devices would still be 5 because even if I drop 1 iPhone & 1 iPad, I have to add the MBP. Besides I don't like giving my sensitive data to sit on someone else's servers, so that rules out iCloud also. My plan is this: the iMac is the main machine and will be used to sync the iPhone & iPad via WLAN. I will then sync the iPad to the MBP via WLAN to get the MBP up to date., and when I'm at my apartment in AZ, I'll do the same for the MBA I have there to get it up to date. The only drawback is I have to enter each WLAN code each time I sync or can 1Password 7 on iDevices remember more than one WLAN code?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@romad: To be clear, with 1Password, you're not "sensitive data to sit on someone else's servers". There's a lot more detail in our security white paper (which is actually a really fun read, even if you're not into cryptography), but to summarize:

1. Your 1Password data is encrypted locally on your device before it is transmitted.
    2. The server receives only an encrypted blob.
    3. Your Master Password is never transmitted.

You might think I'm talking about 1Password.com specifically there, but that's the case no matter what 1Password setup you use — the only difference being that 1Password.com data is also encrypted using the 128-bit randomly generated Secret Key, which is also never transmitted to us. So there's an additional layer of security there as well.

Indeed, when you use 1Password, AgileBits never has access to your data, regardless of the setup you choose. Even with 1Password.com, your data is encrypted on your device, so all the server ever ends up with is an encrypted blob. And since the Secret Key is created locally, your Master Password is only known by you, and neither is ever transmitted to us, only you have the means to decrypt the data.

My plan is this: the iMac is the main machine and will be used to sync the iPhone & iPad via WLAN. I will then sync the iPad to the MBP via WLAN to get the MBP up to date., and when I'm at my apartment in AZ, I'll do the same for the MBA I have there to get it up to date. The only drawback is I have to enter each WLAN code each time I sync or can 1Password 7 on iDevices remember more than one WLAN code?

No. Don't. As mentioned in the guide Ana directed you to above, WLAN Server works between a single computer (the server) and one more more mobile devices (clients). Do not play "musical servers". You will lose data, as each time you "pair" a mobile device with a different computer the previous sync state is cleared.

And, given 1Password's security model, none of those contortions are necessary anyway. If you'd like to make the transition to a 1Password membership, feel free to email me at support+forum@1password.com so I can assist you with that. :)

• romad
    romad
    Community Member
    edited November 2019
    Options

@brenty: No. Don't. As mentioned in the guide Ana directed you to above, WLAN Server works between a single computer (the server) and one more more mobile devices (clients). Do not play "musical servers". You will lose data, as each time you "pair" a mobile device with a different computer the previous sync state is cleared.

Looks like we have have a semantics conflict. What you describe is not syncing but overwriting. If I sync device A with device B only the newest parts of the databases should be transferred to the other database, leaving unchanged matching data alone. It sounds like 1Pwd doesn't compare the modification date time group (DTG) of the individual entries, but only the modification DTG of the entire files, then overwrites the one with the older DTG. Doing it that way is NOT true syncing, but replacing. Now your description of how AgileBits does "syncing" via its servers is clearly a form of overwriting.

So it seems the best way to keep my MBP & MBA 1Pwd databases "current" with my i Mac would be to manually copy the opvault from my iMac to them; the MBP I can do via my local WiFi but the MBA at my apartment in AZ will require use of a flash drive. BTW, it isn't that I don't trust AgileBits to look at my data, it is just that hackers seem to be able to get to ANYTHING no matter how secure companies like Apple, Dropbox, and yours believe they are. All the info hackers have on me they got from online companies, not my house.

Oh, I downloaded that white paper and look forward to reading it.

• Ben
    Options

it is just that hackers seem to be able to get to ANYTHING no matter how secure companies like Apple, Dropbox, and yours believe they are

Indeed. That is why, while of course we're doing everything to prevent that, the system is designed such that even someone with the highest levels of access to our systems could not read the data you store in 1Password. The white paper explains how.

Ben

• romad
    romad
    Community Member
    Options

Indeed. That is why, while of course we're doing everything to prevent that, the system is designed such that even someone with the highest levels of access to our systems could not read the data you store in 1Password. The white paper explains how.

I think I'll put the white paper into MapleRead SE on my iPad so I can read it in comfort!

• Ben
    Options

Sounds like a plan. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.