Notes font unreadable

Options
xparrot
xparrot
Community Member
edited November 2019 in Mac

I am using the latest Mojave 10.14.6 and 1Password, the latest. All of my notes are in a font that is barely readable. I am using Extensis Font Suitcase. I have Helvetica, Helvetica Neue, & Arial activated. But the font displays in a very light and compressed font. Telling me the font it needs is not available. Is there a way to choose the font? Or if you just tell me what font it uses I will activate it.

1Password Version: 7.3.2
_Extension Version:
Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.14.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @xparrot

1Password uses a custom font called Courier Prime Bits.

Ben

• xparrot
    xparrot
    Community Member
    edited November 2019
    Options

So I cannot replace it? Can I download the font? This is how it looks on my Mac, keep in mind this is showing twice as large here as it does on my 4k monitor.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@xparrot: Thanks for the example. What Ben was referring to is the font for actual password fields. We're just using system fonts otherwise. No fonts in 1Password are customizable. What's shown in your screenshot is not at all "unreadable", and would be different from mine only because of something specific to your setup, perhaps related to the display you're using and its support (or lack thereof) for high DPI fonts, or that software you're using to manage fonts. This is what I see:

I'd check your settings and/or see if there's a more suitable driver/display available with better support for macOS.

• xparrot
    xparrot
    Community Member
    Options

It is totally readable in the screen grab size I shared. On my actual screen it is at least half if not four times smaller. Making it very hard to read. This was not a problem in the previous versions. This is something new. I have over 2,000 passwords in my database. I need to get this fixed somehow. When I click Edit and then click on the notes, the font changes to something more readable. I have the typical system fonts. So I have Helvetica, Arial, Times, etc. There has to be a way to fix this. The notes area has to be calling some specific font that I don't have, and is being substituted for one I do have.

• xparrot
    xparrot
    Community Member
    Options

I am also using Extensis Suitcase for font management. I have thousands of fonts in there. I just deactivated them all in hopes that one was conflicting with the system font. Nope. Still showing thin and condensed.

• xparrot
    xparrot
    Community Member
    Options

Here is half size.

• Ben
    Options

@xparrot

If you've disabled or customized various fonts on your system that may certainly have an impact on how you view 1Password, but on an out of the box system 1Password certainly does not look like that. It looks like the screenshot Brenty posted above. The font 1Password 7 for Mac uses for the contents of the notes field is the default system font. If you've changed that, it will change how 1Password looks. In speaking with our design team, it seems the system default (out of the box) is San Francisco. For optimal results, please make sure that the San Francisco font is enabled and set as the system default.

Ben

• xparrot
    xparrot
    Community Member
    Options

San Francisco is active. I'm at a loss. Even restarted my computer. Font in notes is still squished.

• xparrot
    xparrot
    Community Member
    Options

For the record, I love your product. I recently switched the online version. Not sure if that has anything to do with the font issue I am experiencing.

• Ben
    Options

For the record, I love your product. I recently switched the online version. Not sure if that has anything to do with the font issue I am experiencing.

I can't see how that would make any difference, to be honest. Is it possible to temporarily disable Extensis Font Suitcase entirely and return all fonts to the state they'd be in out of the box as a troubleshooting step?

Ben

• xparrot
    xparrot
    Community Member
    Options

I can try that, but I have also noticed something VERY troubling. When I quit 1Password. Then reopen it, it is NOT asking me for my password. Always has in the past.

• xparrot
    xparrot
    Community Member
    Options

I am going to updated my Mac OS to Catalina and see if that resolves the font issue.

• Ben
    Options

I can try that, but I have also noticed something VERY troubling. When I quit 1Password. Then reopen it, it is NOT asking me for my password. Always has in the past.

What do you have your auto-lock settings set for in 1Password > Preferences > Security? Is 'lock when main window is closed' checked?

Ben

• xparrot
    xparrot
    Community Member
    Options

Good news! Updating to Mac OS Catalina fixed the fonts! And checking that fixed the opening

• Ben
    Options

I'm very glad to hear that @xparrot. :) Thanks for the update.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.