Vault organisation ruined after v7 upgrade, how to restore

Options
sciascia
sciascia
Community Member

Hi There,

I've ruined the organisation in my Dropbox Vault.

Here's what I did:
1. Upgraded to v7, all working using Dropbox sync (have always used Dropbox sync)
2. Organised and moved 100s of unneeded passwords to trash
3. Weeks later, upgraded to v7 on a second mac
4. Primary Vault stated 'On my Mac' not Dropbox
5. Tried to change Primary Vault to sync with Dropbox but 1Password stated items would be merged
6. Not wanting to ruin hours of organisation I quit 1Password, copied Dropbox Vault to desktop as backup
7. Launched 1Password but no info on where 'On My Mac' Vault was located (have always used Dropbox)
8. Assumed this was an old default Vault as recent password updates weren't showing
9. Tried to delete the Primary Vault but nothing happened after about 5mins
10. Deleted all passwords from out-of-date Primary Vault, then deleted Primary Vault from 1Password
11. Setup sync to the Dropbox Vault
12. After syncing, Dropbox Vault only contained recent v7 changes, 1,000 of passwords in trash
13. Quit and copied backup of Dropbox Vault to Dropbox
14. Opened 1Password but same issue, only about 30 passwords showed, everything else in the trash
15. Checked the first machine and same issue, 1,000 of passwords in trash

Questions:
1. Why does deleting passwords from an 'On My Mac' Vault not syncing with Dropbox, affect a Dropbox Vault?
2. Does this mean that my Dropbox Vault was a mix of Dropbox and 'On My Mac' passwords?
3. If that's true, how was 1Password syncing updates to other Macs and iOS devices?
4. Can I restore the state of my Dropbox Vault?

Cheers

Ben

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• sciascia
    sciascia
    Community Member
    edited November 2019
    Options

And in the last 10mins, when I go back to 1Password on the first Mac, it now states there is syncing problem and the Primary Vault is not syncing anywhere.

I could change it to the Dropbox Vault but I don't want to ruin things further. Here's a screenshot of the second Mac Vault now.

It seems like the Primary Vault is a mixture of locally saved passwords and Dropbox, is that correct?

• sciascia
    sciascia
    Community Member
    Options

Will start agin and have just restored all the trashed passwords.

I still don't understand why there are local and shared passwords when using a Dropbox vault - why not just save everything into the Dropbox Vault - so confusing sorry.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @sciascia

Could you please clarify what it is that we can help with at this point? I don't understand this question:

I still don't understand why there are local and shared passwords when using a Dropbox vault - why not just save everything into the Dropbox Vault - so confusing sorry.

We don't support sharing 1Password data with other users via Dropbox, so I'm not sure what you're referring to.

Ben

• sciascia
    sciascia
    Community Member
    Options

The Vault isn't being shared with other users via Dropbox.

It's being shared with my other devices via Dropbox using the drop-down menu under Preferences –> Sync

But when I synced my second machine with the Dropbox Vault, it only contained 36 passwords. This is why I've assumed that only 36 passwords were on Dropbox with the rest somehow being local to the machine?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sciascia - it sounds as if you might have more than one sync keychain in Dropbox. Could that be possible? On each device where you're using a 1Password app with data synced via Dropbox, look in the Sync section of either Preferences (Mac) or Settings (iOS) for the full file-path to the sync keychain (you can also open your Dropbox folder on your Mac and simply search it for instances of both Agile Keychains or OPVaults). If you've got more than one, that will account for the discrepancy: you've got different vaults, synced to different keychains. Let us know what you discover.

• sciascia
    sciascia
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply but each device is syncing to a single vault at: /Dropbox/Keychain/1Password.opvault

This is why I'm confused. Can a primary vault sync some passwords to dropbox and some locally?

That's the only way I can explain what happened.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sciascia - no, not generally. It sounds as if something's not right somewhere. To get a better idea of exactly where, I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices.

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#XEP-82942-392]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @sciascia only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: XEP-82942-392

• sciascia
    sciascia
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, will do that after work tonight. Cheers

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the update :+1:

• sciascia
    sciascia
    Community Member
    edited November 2019
    Options

Hi There, both diagnostic reports have been sent using the [#XEP-82942-392] subject.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the update @sciascia! We have received your email and we will get back to you over there as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

This discussion has been closed.