CapitalOne.com Password field

Options

I didn't see this issue discussed anywhere. When I try to us PW to fill credentials on Capital One website, it enters my password twice with a space in between. I've played with this multiple times, but it does it every-time.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited November 2019
    Options

What browser and 1Password version are you using? Additionally what OS? Those will probably be the first questions the staff ask. maybe we can get it in the nick of time before they appear. ;)

• Hey @dribnus! @thightower is spot on here — the more information you can provide, the better. In addition to what they mentioned, what's the URL, and which extension are you using?

• dribnus
    dribnus
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I thought those items were auto filled.
    Windows 10
    Chrome Version 78.0.3904.97
    Password X 1.17.2 (standalone extension only)

• dribnus
    dribnus
    Community Member
    Options

The website is capitalone.com

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @dribnus ,
    I have tested capitalone.com with 1Password X beta (1.17.2) and it autofilled both username and password fields properly. Can you please try creating a new login item and see if that new login works:
    1. Go to capitalone.com
    2. Manually fill in your username and password.
    3. Click the little 1Password icon in the password field to reveal the 1Password menu and save it as a new login.
    4. Refresh the page and try to autofill with that new login.

• dribnus
    dribnus
    Community Member
    edited November 2019
    Options

I have done this multiple times. After 1PW fills in the password, I can select the characters and paste in a text page and see that it puts the password in twice with a space in between. I have over 400 logins, but this is the only one that does this.
    Here's a video clip. Don't worry, no password revealed.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-LQGLfE7xZVE9CG_-fZ6ZZ5vsYCOGonj/view?usp=sharing

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dribnus: What I see when going to https://capitalone.com is very different from that, so it would help to know the specific URL and browser version you're using there.

I found this page which looks more like your video:

https://verified.capitalone.com/auth/signin

But in both cases I'm not having any trouble using 1Password to fill my login credentials and then sign into the site. Just to be sure, make sure you have beta 1.17.3, which was released today, as that's what I have here now. Try it again.

I suspect you'll get the same result though, because it's likely you have this saved strangely in your Login item. If you open 1Password for Windows and view that item, you can scroll down to click "web form details". Do you see a password field there which has extra characters in it? I wonder if you tried to use a longer password than they allow (I believe their limit is still 20 characters), 1Password dutifully saved it for you, but the site only accepted the first part of it. 1Password can still fill the whole thing usually, but that kind of limitation on a website has caused confusion in the past. Let me know what you find.

• dribnus
    dribnus
    Community Member
    edited November 2019
    Options

This is the first chance I had to respond. So I did another video and it shows 1PW filling in the password, and then I remove 1/2 of it plus the space, and it works. The entry in 1PW is correct. If I try using the login "update" with the filled password, it shows the password twice in the update login.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1e5q9yqijFQ9D6NaqL_YONbTSoUoEz2RF/view?usp=sharing

I would like to add, this isn't a huge deal, but it does seem like a bug. I can work around the issue very easily though.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dribnus: Did you check any of this?

Just to be sure, make sure you have beta 1.17.3, which was released today, as that's what I have here now. Try it again. [...] I suspect you'll get the same result though, because it's likely you have this saved strangely in your Login item. If you open 1Password for Windows and view that item, you can scroll down to click "web form details". Do you see a password field there which has extra characters in it? I wonder if you tried to use a longer password than they allow (I believe their limit is still 20 characters), 1Password dutifully saved it for you, but the site only accepted the first part of it. 1Password can still fill the whole thing usually, but that kind of limitation on a website has caused confusion in the past. Let me know what you find.

1Password won't stop filling extra characters if they're saved in the Login item you're telling it to fill. And I'd still love to know the URL you're using, and if the one I mentioned gives a different result.

• dribnus
    dribnus
    Community Member
    edited November 2019
    Options

Sorry I didn't confirm. Yes, I have the same version you mentioned. This video shows the url as well. I have the correct password in the login data. But the test I did by updating that password with the one that fills, showed me that it's putting the password in twice. So, in the video, the login has the correct password. You'll see that when I delete 1/2 of it, the password works.
    Side note, not sure if it matters, but the last character in the password is #

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1am8Cu3abercd6Ru_40xbzgNSiUCHP_jz

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @dribnus ,
    Thanks for the screenshot of your login item. It looks like there are two saved passwords in the form details of that item: "newpassword" and "vnewpassword". Perhaps when you are autofilling 1Password then autofills both of them into the password field. There are two things we can try here:
    1. Delete the "vnewpassword" field from there, then try autofilling.
    2. Try saving a new login item manually in the login page instead of in the "change password" form page: https://support.1password.com/save-login-manually/

Pretty sure one of these will solve it for you.

• dribnus
    dribnus
    Community Member
    Options

I wasn't able to delete the vnewpassword field....couldn't find where to do that since it wasn't there in the edit screen. Anyhow, I just deleted the entire login and created a new one, and it works fine. So it has something to do with me saving it multiple times from the 2 different URL's trying to get it fixed. I'm sure the initial issue was created by me as well. Thanks for all the help guys.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm glad to hear creating a new login worked @dribnus.
    If that ever happens again on that website, I'm pretty sure it will be because you changed the password and saved the new one in the "change password" form, where something screwy in the HTML of that page causes 1Password to record both fields and then autofill them both in the login page.

Anyways, at least now you have a plan of attack :)

This discussion has been closed.