No autofill in Chrome

This discussion was created from comments split from: Autofill not working in Chrome w/ 1Password X.

Comments

• johnapurdy
    johnapurdy
    Community Member

Been having the same problem as @bcemail for months now. Just like above, no 1PW icon shows up in default name, email, address and phone fields for any sites. I have to manually enter them each time. Sometimes, but rarely, I can go the Chrome toolbar and try to do an autofill, but this defeats the purpose of one of the main reasons I bought 1PW. I'm using Chrome Version 78.0.3904.70 on Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@johnapurdy:

Can you please also tell us what version of 1Password X you are using?

• jimjamjimjam
    jimjamjimjam
    Community Member
    edited November 2019

Latest Chrome . Version.Version 78.0.3904.97 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    Latest 1 password. 1Password 7 Version 7.3.2 (70302004)

** = NO AUTO FILL **. I have to look up passwords. A spreadsheet would be quicker

Months for me too!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jimjamjimjam:

Thank you for the information. Please also let us know the 1Password X extension version that you have installed in your Chrome browser.

• jimjamjimjam
    jimjamjimjam
    Community Member

Version
    4.7.5.90 . Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jimjamjimjam:

I see that you are not using 1Password X, but rather the companion extension, so yours is not the same problem as the original poster. Thank you for the clarification.

Also, I see you are using 1Password for Mac, but you posted on a Windows discussion. Therefore, I have split your comments into their own discussion so we don't clutter the original discussion.

Now, when you go on a website and press the 1Password browser extension button in Chrome, what happens exactly?

• jimjamjimjam
    jimjamjimjam
    Community Member
    edited November 2019

When I go to a site I am not offered any passwords, So I have to open the extension via thebbrowser toolbar, search for the password and try and get the app to use it, but mostly it won't so I need to copy it. So I suppose NOTHING works as it should.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jimjamjimjam:

Can you please make sure that the dropdown menu when you click on the browser extension is set to Suggestions? It should look like this:

I suspect from what you wrote that the dropdown menu is currently set to "All Items" for you, so that is why you have to search for the correct login.

• jimjamjimjam
    jimjamjimjam
    Community Member

Sorry I can't see how to get to that window

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jimjamjimjam:

Just click on the 1Password browser extension in Chrome, next to the URL bar:

• jimjamjimjam
    jimjamjimjam
    Community Member

Ahh understood. It is working. Many thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• johnapurdy
    johnapurdy
    Community Member

@ag_ana, I'm using version 1.16.2 of 1PW for Chrome on my Mac.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@johnapurdy – Thanks so much. A 1Password icon should appear in email fields and offer you to fill a Login or Identity, at the very least. Could you let me know a website where this doesn't happen the way it should? I'd like to check it out myself and see if I get the same behavior.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@johnapurdy – I see a 1Password icon inside the email field on the site you linked. Is that what you're seeing as well?

• johnapurdy
    johnapurdy
    Community Member

@kaitlyn - yes, on the password field. But, not on my name, and often on many sites, the 1PW icon doesn't show up on email, address, phone, etc. Been a problem for months.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@johnapurdy – The 1Password icon should be showing up inside the email field on registration forms, at the very least. On the site you linked, the 1Password X icon is showing up in the email field. If you notice a site where it's not, please post it here so I can take a closer look.

As far as the 1Password icon not appearing in name, address, and phone number fields. We're interested in improving the technology there. I'll pass along your feedback to our developers. :)

• nicklawler
    nicklawler
    Community Member

I have 1PasswordX installed in Chrome and it is set to Suggestions but it does not often show up in form fields. I usually have to click into the extension to get it to autofill. It's a big pain and much less efficient than, for instance, the Dashlane extension (which I just switched from).

• cecelia
    edited December 2019

Thanks for clarifying, @nicklawler. I understand and agree that 1Password X has some room to improve in regards to how it fills and appears in identity fields. It's a tricky battle to achieve this in a secure fashion, but I assure you this is on the developers' radar and they're consistently making an effort to improve 1Password X's inline menu and filling behavior. In the meantime, if you just skip straight to a field in the form in which the inline menu appears and choose your Identity item from the inline menu, the Identity item should fill all relevant fields in the form. Also, if you have several items showing in the inline menu, you can start typing in the field to filter the items shown. Additionally, there's a keyboard shortcut for opening the pop-up that you might find useful — cmd - shift - x.

I hope those tips help while we work on improving 1Password X's behavior in general, but as Kaitlyn said, if you come across any particularly troublesome sites, please do let us know so we can dig in on our end.

ref: dev/core/core#409

• nicklawler
    nicklawler
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply. After I type the CMD-SHIFT-X shortcut to open the pop-up, is there another shortcut to initiate the autofill?

• cecelia
    edited November 2019

Sorry about that @nicklawler! I should have said so. Yes, there is. You can use the up and down arrow keys to navigate between items and once the desired Login or Identity item is highlighted, hit the enter/return key to autofill (or to use the default action on that item). If you’re not on the site associated with the Login item, hitting the enter/return key will Go and Fill.

I navigate 1Password X using my keyboard more often than not and I love it. If you’re interested in getting to know more of those shortcuts, you might find this article useful:
    1Password X Support guide - Using keyboard shortcuts

I hope that helps! :)

This discussion has been closed.