To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Need Help With Master Password!

Options

Hello,

I did try and reach out for support through email but have not received a response so I figured I'd try here. Today I unfortunately decided to change my Master Password. I went through the process to change the password by entering my current password and then using 1Password to generate a new password for my Master Password. I copied the generated password and pasted it in the field for my new Master Password, submitted it and successfully changed it. At this moment I was going to then paste that copied generated password into my own private file on my computer for safe keeping. I mistakenly quit out of 1Password before I could do that effectively signing me out. I then went to paste the copied generated password that I copied a second ago to solidify it as my new Master Password and I no longer have the ability to paste it. Leaving me unable to sign back in because I was depending on copying and pasting the new Master Password for my records instead of writing it down.

At this moment I am just interested in signing back into my account, which I have an annual subscription I paid for. I have my Secret Key but judging upon all your support articles if I read them correctly, my Master Password is my only way to get back into my account.

I went through the list of suggestions using your one support article titled "If you forgot your Master Password or you can’t unlock 1Password" starting from the top..

"If you think you remember your Master Password"

• I do not because I just changed it and attempted to paste the new password for my records after mistakenly signing out and I now have no option to paste. I did attempt trying the previous Master Password but like I said it has been successfully changed.

"Recover using another device"

• All other devices at the time were all signed out.

"Recover using your family or team account"

• I just changed the Master Password before anyone knew the new one.

"Recover using Touch ID or Face ID"

• I do not have the app set up on any of my devices to utilize these features.

"Recover from a backup on your Mac"
"On your Mac, 1Password makes daily backups of any standalone vaults you may have. If you’re using 1Password for Mac without a 1Password account, try restoring a backup of your standalone vaults from a time when your Master Password was working. Anything you’ve added or changed since that backup will be lost."

• I am not sure if this option pertains to me as I am using 1Password for mac WITH a 1Password account. When I click on 1Password on my Mac and go to "Vault" tab its all unhighlighted and not clickable.

"If you still can’t unlock 1Password"

• When I click the link highlighted "delete your 1Password data and start over." it takes me to this article..

"How to reset your 1Password data and start over" starting from the top..

"Reset 1Password"
"Open 1Password. From the menu bar, choose Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data and follow the onscreen instructions.
The next time you open 1Password, you’ll be asked to create a new vault or sign in to your account. You can also use existing 1Password data that you might have on another computer or device."

• I am not sure if this option pertains to me as it notes after following those step "to sign in" but I do not know my Master Password to sign in.

"Get Help"
"If you have a 1Password membership, you can reset your account on 1Password.com."

• I have a 1Password membership so when I click the link highlighted "reset your account on 1Password.com." its take me to this article titled..

"How to delete your 1Password account" which loads the webpage to the bottom section of the article titled "Get Help".

The "Get Help" section states..
"If you can’t access your account, you can still delete it:
Go to https://start.1password.com/support
Enter your email address and click Continue. You’ll get an email from 1Password.
In the email, click “View my account”. You’ll see a list of your 1Password accounts.
Click the name of the account you want to delete.
Scroll down and click Delete Account.
Follow the instructions in the email you receive to delete your account."

• If this is my last option out of all the options I listed to try and access my account without my Master Password, what happens to my recently paid for annual subscription? Am I refunded in full or am I able to still use this subscription for a new account?

I hope all of this makes sense as I am just trying to provide all the methods and uncertainties that I am experiencing moving forward with the best available option to access my account without my Master Password. If a representative could help and clarify my best option for this situation it would be GREAT. I spent a significant amount of my day waiting for a response to my original email sent this afternoon and then looking through your support articles. I wrote this as thoroughly as possible to eliminate the possible back and forth of options to try since there is no ability to have someone call me? Please let me know what the best option to move forward is with this situation.

NOTE: I do have all my individual passwords that would be in my 1Password account from my physical written records.

Thank You For Your Time.

-Valentino

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2019
    Options

I see that you emailed us about 10 hours ago, so I will close this and follow up with you there to continue the conversation so we're not confusing and slowing down things by trying to do this in multiple places at once. But to be clear, only you ever have your Master Password or access to any of your data, so that's not something we could "reset" or provide access to. That's why it's important to memorize your Master Password. It sounds like you copied a generated password from 1Password itself, and you have 1Password set to clear the clipboard afterward, therefore the password was no longer there later. Depending on how you generated the password, you may have it saved as a Password item in your vault. So if there is a device where you have not locked yourself out of your data, that may help. Otherwise, unless you are part of a group 1Password membership where there is an admin available to help you recover your account, you will need to start over. But we can explore these options in more detail via email.

ref: XRB-93599-927

This discussion has been closed.