How to save answers to security questions?

jeffp3456
jeffp3456
Community Member

My problem is that many websites still require that you fill in security questions and of course I always make up the answers but up until now I have been screenshoting the q&a and dragging the file into 1pass. Now I discover that there is no link to the screenshot in the login entry and that all screenshots are alphabetically filed away under 'documents'. since they are all labeled 'screenshot...' this makes finding the right one very difficult.
Is there a way or could there be a more convenient way to save this info directly in the login item for that site?

thanks
Jeff

1Password Version: 7.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• RonHeiby
    RonHeiby
    Community Member

What I do is edit the Login entry in 1Password for the site. I create a new "Section" and name it something like "Security" or "Additional Security". (I should probably standardize on one of those.)

Within the new "Security" section, I create an entry for each security question. I name the entry something that will tell me which security question the entry matches. So, if the security question is something like, "What is the name of your first pet?", I might name the entry simply, "First Pet". And then the value of that entry is where I put the random gibberish answer. And then I mark that entry as being of type Password, so it isn't generally visible on the screen.

Once this is done, it's as easy to copy whichever answer(s) are required as to copy out the password. Of course, I haven't figured out a way to get 1Password to autofill those security questions, but in my experience I've needed them so seldom that it hasn't been worth mentioning.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited November 2019

I do the same as @RonHeiby, @jeffp3456. I think that is fairly standard for these items. I hope that helps. Thanks for chiming in RonHeiby. :)

Ben

• jeffp3456
    jeffp3456
    Community Member

It would be more convenient IMO if 1pass just kept a link to the image (screenshot) in the entry for the login as opposed to just having a huge bucket for all images.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'd argue that's entirely the wrong approach, since you will not be able to copy and paste any of that information from screenshots. As mentioned above, while it does require some effort, saving that information as text in fields in the Login item makes it easy to find and use it later, and only needs to be setup once.

• @jeffp3456

Linking items is already possible:

Link related items in 1Password

Though I'd argue saving the questions and answers in a screenshot is not likely to be very convenient, as then you can't copy & paste the answers. That's your prerogative, of course. :)

Ben

• jeffp3456
    jeffp3456
    Community Member

I did drag the screenshot to the individual item and afaik there is no link but I will take another look at this as it could be the solution. I get that I can't copy and paste but I don't run into them that often and so it's okay. thanks for the link to the linking.

• You're welcome. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.