To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Using the Emergency Kit

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Estate plan crafted around cracking master password.

Comments

• Fairgame
    Fairgame
    Community Member
    Options

Different subject than discussed above, but it has death and executor in common.
    Most executors I can think of are not proficient in 1Password or any other password manager program. So, if I make sure that the executor has access to emergency kit with master password, I show them how to use 1Password and they will have access to my computer, I’m sure that without user proficiency when the time comes, the executor will

• Not know what to do with the emergency kit
    • Not know they need to access 1Password
    • Not know what is 1Password and how to get it
    • Not know what to click inside 1Password if they get in at all

I understand that this is not 1Password team area or business.
    But would you consider to include on the Emergency kit link, email, phone number or anything else for potential executor to even understand the they need to get hold of 1Password team and have someone from your office to “hold their hand” navigating this 1Password software.
    Legally, from your point of view, you probably do not want to do anything like this. From user point of view, most executors that come to my mind will not be able to navigate 1Password even if I show them several time how to do it. Think type of people that prefer faxed signature to digital signature, as posted earlier above.

Just something to think about.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Fairgame: I've split this off into a separate discussion since it's unrelated. But, frankly, we're happy to help with just that kind of situation. To be clear, that doesn't involve actually giving someone access to an account. We intentionally don't have that capability. But there's a lot we can do to help as far as what's what and how to use 1Password, for someone in the situation. You're not wrong that for someone who is not already a 1Password user it can be difficult to navigate and get up to speed, but that's literally what we're here for. Someone who will have any hope of using 1Password will already know how to use their web browser to find us and contact us, and we can take it from there to guide them in using it. Put another way, we can not tell them what any of the things you list are, but we can definitely tell them what to do with them. :)

This discussion has been closed.