Are there multiple Master Passwords?

dj1P
dj1P
Community Member

I just moved from 1PW6 to 1PW7 (family account). During the process, I filled in the e-mail address requested for my.1password.com account and it suggested a Master Password. I was unsure if this was the Master Password for my long time Vault on 1PW6, but I went ahead and created this new unique Master Password for my.1password.com (call it NewPW for brevity). When I printed the 1Password Emergency Kit it left blank the Master Password field, but of course it displayed the sign-in address, e-mail address, and Secret Key.

A. On my Mac and iPhone the new imported Vault to 1PW7 opens with my original Master Password used for years (call it VV for brevity).
B. But I can also log-in to my.1password.com using the newly created Master Password (NewPW as noted above). I also noted that when I log-in to my.1password.com using Safari, I can also open my new 1P7 Vault without entering the original Vault Password (VV).

1. Thus it seems that I have two unique Master Passwords (one for logon for my.1password.com) and another for the Vault on my Mac or iPhone using the 1PW app. Is this the way it is supposed to work. Or have I misunderstood something?
  2. It does seem confusing to refer to both situations as "Master Passwords", which is how they are referred to if I attempt to change either of them.
    Thx

1Password Version:_7.4.1
_Extension Version:
Safari 1PW 7.4.1
OS Version: 10.15.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dj1P: I agree that it can be confusing if you've setup different Master Password for different things -- for example multiple local vaults and/or 1Password membership accounts. I'd recommend setting up 1Password on all your devices with just the 1Password membership account once you've migrated all your data there (you can verify that by signing into https://start.1password.com in your web browser. The Emergency Kit is supposed to not contain your Master Password because even the 1Password app never knows it. That's why you need to enter it to decrypt your data. It exists only in your brain unless you choose to write it down. Let me know if you have any other questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.