Is there a way to inject the password into the keyboard buffer, rather than using the copy/paste buf

Options
rbur004
rbur004
Community Member
edited November 2019 in Mac

I'm trying out 1password on my Mac for the first time, and found that to use it outside of a browser, I have to copy and paste the passwords.

This can be disruptive, when I want to preserve the contents of the copy buffer. Is there a way (I may not have found yet) to have 1password inject the password into the keyboard buffer.

Something like this bit of apple script does.

osascript -e 'tell application "System Events"' -e 'set activeApp to name of first application process whose frontmost is true' -e 'if "Finder" is not in activeApp then' -e 'tell application activeApp' -e 'keystroke "THE-PASSWORD"' -e 'end tell' -e 'end if' -e 'end tell'

1Password Version: 7
_Extension Version: Menu Bar App
_OS Version: Catalina 10.15.1
_Sync Type:
Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @rbur004

This isn't something we currently offer, but it may be something we can consider for the future. :)

Ben

• rbur004
    rbur004
    Community Member
    Options

Nb. When I updated to Catalina, from Sierra, I found this apple script failed unless I added my test app to the Security & Privacy/Accessibility control panel, giving the app permission to control my computer.

• rbur004
    rbur004
    Community Member
    Options

Mostly liking 1password so far, though being able to use it outside of the browser is important to me.

• @rbur004,

Your best bet at this time would be to use drag & drop of the username/password fields from 1Password mini or the main 1Password window to the destination fields.

• rbur004
    rbur004
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Drag and drop works.

• Ben
    Options

I'm glad to hear Rudy's suggest will work for you. :) If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• rushtone
    rushtone
    Community Member
    Options

I, too, really need some sort of keyboard-stuffing option. I have many non-website logins to keep track of, and a significant number of those don't support copy/paste, nor does the drag-and-drop work. Stuffing the keyboard with username, tab, password works in a number of those cases with another PM.
    Lacking this feature is keeping me from fully adopting 1Password in favor of another PM that does support this.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for taking the time to share you thoughts with us @rushtone. We will keep your feedback in mind for the future :+1:

This discussion has been closed.