About Family Membership

Options
DeadSoul
DeadSoul
Community Member

I using family plan with my friends and i'm account manager. I and my friends have a question about account. If I delete my friend's account from family, Can my friend continue to access items already in account that he has and already deleted?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@DeadSoul: Using 1Password Families with friends is generally not a good idea and therefore not recommend because of exactly what you mention here: the Organizer can delete another person's account from the membership (since it's theirs: they're paying for it) at any time, and they will lose any data they've stored there. In order for someone to move to an individual membership, they would need to sign up for one and move their data from the first account to the new one. Let me know if you have any other questions. :)

• arunsathiya
    arunsathiya
    Community Member
    Options

I agree with what @brenty said -- not a good idea to share family account with friends. If you are looking into the idea of sharing specific logins with friends, inviting them as a guest works.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@arunsathiya: A guest is a good option to be aware of in general, so I'm glad you mentioned it. :)

But it's important to keep in mind that the same caveat applies: anyone being invited to a group 1Password membership can be removed by an admin at any time. A guest will only have access to a single vault that an admin explicitly shares with them though, and since that would likely not be the guest's data anyway, that could be a good option for inviting someone outside the family t that you need to share something with securely. Cheers! :)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

IMO it all depends. I have friends who are family. I have family who screwed me over and I haven’t talk too in years...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Absolutely, this is very personal. Who you trust and who you don't is extremely subjective. For 1Password there is no distinction between family member and friend, only between account member and account guest, so to give everyone the freedom to configure their account the way they see fit.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana with that being said, I somehow gained another “daughter” :lol:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Well congratulations then @prime! :+1: :chuffed:

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

OK - I give UP!!
    Continuing to use our long-ago "Family" license for 1PW is proving impossible - because we can't download early software for new computers we've purchased.

If I subscribe to current "Family" privileges:
    1. Will that include updates for future software versions?
    2. Can we continue to use our Dropbox password vaults?
    3. Can we share those vaults between us?

"Us" and "We" means just my wife and me.

Where will I find details on how to pull off downloading new software and creating whatever "account" we may need for the purpose?

Thanks for your help.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @PeterW

because we can't download early software for new computers we've purchased.

Yes you can. We have a "Legacy Downloads" section down at the bottom of our Downloads page. Don't let that stop you from upgrading, though, as remaining up to date is something we most certainly recommend doing.

Will that include updates for future software versions?

Absolutely. 1Password memberships include all versions and all updates now and in the future.

Can we continue to use our Dropbox password vaults?

You can keep the data contained within those vaults but they won't be on Dropbox anymore. One of the main benefits of 1Password membership is no longer needing to use any 3rd party services to sync your data. Your vaults will be migrated over to our system and will be kept in sync, as well as backed up, that way.

Can we share those vaults between us?

Certainly. On of the reasons we built 1Password Families was to help facilitate secure yet simple sharing amongst family members. You can share, or not share, anything you choose. https://support.1password.com/family-sharing/.

Now, as for actually upgrading. I take it you are using 1Password 6 currently, right? If so, take a look at https://support.1password.com/upgrade-mac/#upgrade-to-1password-7 for upgrade instructions. If you have any troubles along the way, let me know. :)

This discussion has been closed.