Lag entering password on 1password browser extension

I am having an identical issue to this post from 2015: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/43202/lag-with-1password-browser-extension

When I enter my master password to unlock the Chrome extension, it lags for maybe 5 or more seconds before the text populates.

I tested, and I can type the password and hit 'enter' without waiting for the text lag to catch up, and it still lets me unlock 1passwordX. But it's annoying not being able to see the type, and leads to password entry errors.

Chrome: Version 78.0.3904.108 (Official Build) (64-bit)
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)

NOTE: The issue does not seem to be affecting my Macbook Pro (Late2013) with a SSD (same OS and same version of Chrome). The main difference is a SSD versus a Hybrid drive running in the iMac.

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 1.16.2
OS Version: MacOS Catalina 10.15.1
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Lag entering password on 1password browser extension

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2019

@mfisher81: I'm sorry for the difficulty. 1Password X did not exist in 2015, and that discussion was about 1Password for Mac version 5 or so, so it's definitely not related. I believe what you're describing is due to a known Chrome bug. Dragging the window to your primary display can work around that. Let me know if that helps.

ref: dev/core/core#55

• mfisher81
    mfisher81
    Community Member

Thank you for the reply. I will experiment with moving it to my primary monitor—closing off most or all tabs also seems to make it work normally.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mfisher81: Definitely let me know. I haven't heard from others that closing tabs/windows helped, just moving it to the main display, so that's interesting. It seems to be a rendering performance bug in Chrome, and others have found that it only occurs on secondary displays. Very strange, but that helped to narrow it down.

• mfisher81
    mfisher81
    Community Member

@brenty I can confirm, moving the window to the main display fixes it. Problem only affects external monitor. I'm thinking the tabs was just a coincidence for me; When I closed tabs, I probably moved to Chrome on the main display

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@mfisher81 – I'm glad to hear Brenty's advice helped you out. It does sound like the Chromium bug he mentioned. If you care to follow along, you can view the entire bug report here.

We've done what we can to help the Chromium team which included making a barebones extension with only a text field in a pop-up just to see if it happened there to (and confirm it wasn't only 1Password X that was affected). It did, so now we're in a bit of a bind waiting for Chromium to get the issue resolved. The good news is that your Master Password is being typed even though you can't see it. Typing your Master Password and pressing enter allows you to sign in or you can always move the browser window over to your primary display.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mfisher81: I mean, closing tabs can help overall performance, but I have a hard time doing that myself so I'm glad switching to the primary monitor helps. :lol:

But just to follow up on what Kate mentioned, please make sure that you click directly in the Master Password field before you start typing, just to make sure that some other field is not somehow focused. I haven't seen that happen on macOS, and this issue seems macOS-specific, but it's better to be safe than sorry. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.