To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

A couple of beginner questions

gaf_ml_01
gaf_ml_01
Community Member

I’m just trying out 1Password and running into some roadblocks. I’m hoping it’s ok to ask here, because I didn’t see a general usage forum, and most of my usage will either be MacOS or iOS, though my questions right now aren’t specific to either platform.

1. When I try to create a Membership, the first thing it asks for is a section. I searched support, but I can’t find an introduction to what a section is or what it’s good for.
  2. I created a Password instead for my AAA membership as a starting point. It didn’t have a place for my login ID so I added a custom field. But if I try to create another password, that custom field isn’t there. How do I make customizations to the templates sticky?
  3. I think the only way to organize various items is with tags. But when looking at the tags pane, there doesn’t seem to be a way to create a new entry using that tag. And if I create a new entry using the Catgories tab, and then try to enter a tag, there’s no way to see what existing tags I have already. How do I avoid making redundant tag names (e.g. having both car and cars because I can’t remember which I used previously)?

Many thanks

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gaf_ml_01! Welcome to the forum! :)

When I try to create a Membership, the first thing it asks for is a section. I searched support, but I can’t find an introduction to what a section is or what it’s good for.

I am not sure what you are referring to as "section", so can you please post a screenshot of what you are looking at, so we can make sure we are on the same page?

I created a Password instead for my AAA membership as a starting point. It didn’t have a place for my login ID so I added a custom field. But if I try to create another password, that custom field isn’t there. How do I make customizations to the templates sticky?

Currently, custom categories are in beta in our business accounts. It's something we are working on, so for the moment you will have to rely on custom fields if you need to change the built-in categories.

I think the only way to organize various items is with tags. But when looking at the tags pane, there doesn’t seem to be a way to create a new entry using that tag. And if I create a new entry using the Catgories tab, and then try to enter a tag, there’s no way to see what existing tags I have already. How do I avoid making redundant tag names (e.g. having both car and cars because I can’t remember which I used previously)?

When you start typing a tag name, 1Password should offer to autocomplete them for you. Is this not happening for you?

• gaf_ml_01
    gaf_ml_01
    Community Member
    edited November 2019

The section item appears as the very first item to enter. Here’s an iPhone screen cap:

and here’s a Mac:

Note the next entry is a Group entry, and I don’t know what that is, either.

As for the tag, I have my AAA password tagged as Auto. When I try making an entry for my car forum, and type “Au” in the tag field, no prompt appears. That’s on the iPad and iPhone. It works on the Mac.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited November 2019

@gaf_ml_01

Sections are a container for information within an item. You can create custom sections to store fields that are not part of an item's default template. This blog post may help shed some light:

Secure all the things in Secure Notes | 1Password

You're right that the tagging experience on iOS doesn't currently have autocomplete. Hopefully we can improve upon that in a future revision.

Ben

ref: dev/apple/issues#2321

• gaf_ml_01
    gaf_ml_01
    Community Member

Thanks @Ben. It seems odd to have that as the first thing to enter, though. I’d expect all the stock categories to have section names already chosen, with any new ones at the end. It’s also something I’d expect to edit on the template, not individual items.

• @gaf_ml_01

The templates aren't editable at this point, so the only place to do it is on each item. Thanks for your feedback about your expectations here. There may very well be room for improvement in these areas.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.