IP7 Mac is nagging me to install extension for Chrome

williakz
williakz
Community Member
edited November 2019 in 1Password in the Browser

When I click 1P7 Mac's Menu Bar icon, I get a window directing/ordering/offering/suggesting I install an extension for Chrome. I do not use "Desktop application required" browser extensions, preferring instead to use 1PX (1.16.2) for Chrome to interface with 1P. So why the nag, and is there anything I can do to get rid of it? Thanks in advance for any comments/remedies. Screenshot posted below showing nag window AND Chrome 1PX extension icon in browser's upper right.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2019

Hello @williakz! The stable version of 1Password X doesn't actually communicate with the 1Password for Mac desktop app, so it doesn't have any way of knowing that 1Password X is installed. If you're interested in a feature we call Desktop App Integration that allows 1Password X and 1Password for Mac to talk to each other, you'll need to install the 1Password X beta as well as the 1Password for Mac beta. More information can be found here.

Keep in mind, that pop up will only appear if you click the 1Password icon in your macOS menu bar or if you press the keyboard shortcut ⌘-\. If you don't click/press, you won't see the pop up and you can continue using 1Password X/1Password for Mac as normal.

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member
    edited November 2019

Gotcha, and thanks @kaitlyn! So, it's simply a matter of waiting for the beta versions of 1P7M and 1PX to become the "official" latest and greatest. I can wait.

(Can't resist remarking on the curious situation where users sufficiently sophisticated to employ 1P on their Macs in the first place are endlessly reminded to install what I take to be your preferred non-Safari browser extension.)

• @williakz

So, it's simply a matter of waiting for the beta versions of 1P7M and 1PX to become the "official" latest and greatest.

That, or use the beta, or use the "1Password extension (desktop app required)" extension. :)

(Can't resist remarking on the curious situation where users sufficiently sophisticated to employ 1P on their Macs in the first place are endlessly reminded to install what I take to be your preferred non-Safari browser extension.)

I did try to explain some of that in another thread, that you also participated in:
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/534996/#Comment_534996

Ben

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member
    edited November 2019

@Ben:

I do understand that not everyone is interested in running beta software though, and rightfully so.

We're on the same wavelength there. Also, I tried using the "Desktop app required" browser extensions, but found them unsatisfactory due both to current bugs and their evident future obsolescence as you mentioned in the linked thread.

• Fair enough. :)

Ben

• mattiaswidman
    mattiaswidman
    Community Member

I still see this issue when using Firefox and Edge Chromium where I prefer to use 1password X. If they are in focus the menubar app keeps nagging which is kind of annoying... Running the latest versions (1.18.1 and 7.4.3) available but not Beta which I try to avoid on production machines...

This discussion has been closed.