Family member vault not crossfilling between master app

DBonzelet
DBonzelet
Community Member

My daughter had the app on her iPhone for some time, we decided to add it to her computer. Was confusing, but finally sent invite from Master 1Password, it then gave her a "Secret key", and we used her password from the original vault. Seems like all it did was create a completely separate vault for her, doesn't show on the Master vault, and none of her passwords from her original Family vault transfer over

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Catalina 10.15.1
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:add 1password app to family member computer

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @DBonzelet!

Was confusing, but finally sent invite from Master 1Password

Can you please clarify what you mean by "Master 1Password" in this case? Is it a 1Password account that you have already been using before inviting your daughter to it?

• DBonzelet
    DBonzelet
    Community Member

Hi, sorry for the confusion. It's the master family plan, with me, my wife, son and daughter, and they've all had 1password app on their phones for a while. Added the app to my daughter's computer, couldn't get it to open without entering a secret key. Was that supposed to my secret key? Because I ended up sending her an invite (like I said, she was already had a vault), then it gave her a secret key. It still shows the same account name, but only shows "secret vault", her other vault doesn't transfer. I clicked "confirm" on the permissions page, but no luck as of yet.

• DBonzelet
    DBonzelet
    Community Member

Is there a "chat" option by any chance?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Dbonzelet - "live chat" and screen-sharing aren't available for 1Password technical support, but I'm happy to continue assisting you right here if that's OK with you.

This is the process for inviting family members and getting them set up. Each person you invite will receive their own Secret Key and create their own Master Password as part of the process. Your own Master Password and Secret Key shouldn't be involved.

If your daughter has had a standalone 1Password vault for some time (it will be called "Primary,") then she should have been given the option to go through this process to move her data from the standalone Primary vault into her 1password.com Personal vault. If that didn't happen or she dismissed the option, then this is the process for moving those items manually.

If your daughter didn't have a Primary (standalone) vault on her computer (or didn't have 1Password at all there) previously, then it's likely she was using a standalone vault only in 1Password for iOS. Have her check Settings > Vaults in 1Password for iOS to see how many vaults are there, and what their names are. If you see only "Primary," then you'll need to have her add her new 1Password account to the app on her phone and migrate the data. Let me know how that goes for you/her.

• DBonzelet
    DBonzelet
    Community Member

Hi Lars,
    My daughter has had a vault from the Family plan for some time, we had it on her iPhone. Today I tried to add it to her computer, downloading the 1Password app, which is where the confusion started. I expected to be able to put in her email and password and be good to go, but didn't find that option. Everything I saw seemed to be a process for a brand new user, not one who already had a vault for a family plan. I finally went into my Family plan (on my computer) and sent a share out to her, even though she already had an account. It went to her email, she clicked it, I approved it from my email, a Secret password (that 30 odd character master password) was generated for her, and the app is up and running......all by itself. Her other vault, still visible when I sign into the master vault, hasn't shared anything with the newly created account. Her new vault (created today) has the same name as my master vault, it says "Shared (name)". However, in the master family vault, her old vault is displayed, the new one is nowhere to be found.

Maybe I inadvertantly made her a new vault? No idea.

I would love to tell you exactly how I went about it, but now that it is on her computer I find it won't let me walk back through it. I could delete the app and reinstall if you'd like.

• DBonzelet
    DBonzelet
    Community Member

Btw, I asked her to sign in with her iPhone, it no longer shows her passwords from the old shared Family plan, it now has the new vault, same family name that says "shared", but no cross populated data.

And I'm perplexed why, if it was created within our Family plan, today's new vault doesn't seem to appear there?

Thanks for the help

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@DBonzelet:

Btw, I asked her to sign in with her iPhone, it no longer shows her passwords from the old shared Family plan, it now has the new vault, same family name that says "shared", but no cross populated data.

I think you created two different accounts. If data appears in one place but not in the other, this is likely what happened.

We will be happy to help you with this. To avoid sharing your account information here, can you send us an email to support+forum@agilebits.com from your account's registered email address so we can continue the conversation there?

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and get back to you as soon as possible.

Looking forward to your message!

• DBonzelet
    DBonzelet
    Community Member

Thanks for the help, looking forward to fixing what I am certain is just confusion on my part!

Here is the support ID: [#KRU-36267-979]

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your email in our systems. Someone will get back to you via email as soon as possible :)

ref: KRU-36267-979

This discussion has been closed.